A Simple Sign

POV: Jack

Song: Be Myself by Why Don't We

"Where do I start
All these thoughts inside my head collide
And I decide I'm stayin in tonight
They say 'follow your heart'..."

Somehow over my music blasting on almost full volume into my earbuds, I could still hear my heartbeat. That calm, steady rhythm, ignoring all the chaos going on in the world below. Not that I minded, it was nice to take a break from the constant sweat, fear, shaking, and movement.

Normally I would listen to upbeat and happy music, something to cheer me up and keep my mind off the stress but something about today was different, I'm not sure what yet, but I'll figure it out soon.

"But it's beating uncontrollably
I can't hear what it's telling me this time
We're dancin on the edge of anxiety's ledge
And I might fall again, I might fall..."

The big white sign sits behind me, a constant shadowy reminder of the busy, stressful place I'm stuck in.

I lay back and close my eyes trying to disappear into the music for a minute, hoping for a small escape from the world.

Just as my mind started drifting, there was a loud sound, a scream. But not a bad kind of scream, a silly one, like a child playing a chasing game and they're almost caught.

My eyes open quickly and I look around, trying to find the source of the noise before they see me and bug me.

As my eyes trail over the corner of the path about 200 metres away I spot a girl, she looked about my age.

I got distracted by her for a minute before realizing she must be with someone considering she wouldn't be running, laughing and screaming like that if she was alone.

Another movement follows her around the corner as she sprints towards the big Hollywood sign behind me.

"We're walkin on a rope of worry, and I hope
That I don't fall again, I don't fall
Take me somewhere I can be
I can be myself (be myself)..."

It's clearly too late for me to disappear and make myself not noticeable so I just lay back down, not willing to give up my spot for a couple to have some fun, cause that's all they did when they come up here together.

I turn my music up to the max volume and close my eyes again, trying to drown out and ignore the people.

"Oh, take me somewhere I am free
Free to be myself and nothin else
I've never had pride
For myself and I'm proud of that..."

I focus in on the lyrics, forgetting about everything else and reminding myself that for now, I'm at that place. I'm free here, to be me. Without the judgement or hurt from other people. Free to be different.

My thoughts are interrupted by a loud "OH- OMG IM SO SORRY". I sit up and open my eyes, taking one earbud out to look around at who was talking to me.

I send the girl a friendly smile and shake some dust out of my hair. "It's alright, no worries" I respond with a chuckle.

"'Cause I know that I'm just somebody else
So why do I try? (Why do I try?)
Try to find my validation in what everybody's sayin
I need some help..."

She smiled at me then looked out at the view, "you come here a lot?" She asked and glanced down at me.

I nodded, only half hearing her through the music still blasting into one of my earbuds. I zone out until I hear her say something else.

"Mind if I sit with ya?"

I look up at her, confused. "Thought you were here with someone-"

She shakes her head. "I was but they got a call and had to go"

I nod and smile a bit, "have a seat, mystery girl"

She looks at me half surprised then smiles and sits down next to me and holds her hand out, "Lena"

I take her hand and shake it, "Pretty name, I'm Jack"