CHAPTER 10: Teamwork Straight from Hell

Evan Cooper

Ever since he was a kid, Evan had loved games and sports. He was such an energetic kid that even his big brother couldn't keep up with him, not until he found the joy of team sports. He loved everything about field hockey, to the point he couldn't picture his life without it.

Still, not even the loud cheering of the audience or the smiles of his team mates couldn't give him a high like one gaze from those silver eyes did.

Before the second half started, Evan looked around to find Junior, but he was nowhere to be found. Once it started and Junior still wasn't back, Evan was crestfallen. He could no longer concentrate on the game, now that all he could think was that Junior had gotten tired of the game and left. With nothing but love, that was something Junior could easily do.

But when Evan glanced at Junior's spot again a while later, he had come back. Seeing that made Evan smile spread so wide it was a surprise his face didn't split. Junior smiled back at him, giving him a small nod, and Evan went back to the game with new ardor.

Their team was on fire that day, so it wasn't a surprise that they won with flying colors. Evan's team mates were sweaty and full of pride as they ran around giving each other pats on shoulders and shouting like idiots.

When the celebration of the victory was over, Evan went to look for Junior. He found his slender frame leaning against a pillar near the stands.

"How good was I?" Evan smirked when he was on Junior's earshot.

"Radiant." Junior answered and smiled back. It was a weary smile, but the word he said was enough to make Evan the happiest guy in the world.

"Wait for me while I change? We can walk back together." Evan asked and Junior shrugged as if to say: it's not like I have anything better to do.

"Evan, Evan, Evan!" Evan's team members chanted as he walked into the locker room. Junior was waiting for him outside, so he was in a hurry, but he could exchange a few words with Kingston and the others.

"You were so good back there!" Damien grinned, patting Evan's shoulder again.

"I know." Evan smirked and laughed while changing his clothes.

It didn't take long before Evan was ready and back in the dusk school yard. He looked around, but couldn't see Junior anywhere near the door that led to the locker room. Evan had just enough time to think that Junior had left after all, before he spotted him near the bathroom doors. Evan hurried to Junior.

"I thought you left." Evan muttered.

"How could I leave your sorry ass here all alone?" Junior retorted, making Evan burst out laughing.

"Whatever, tough boy." Evan said, still laughing. He nudged Junior playfully, indicating it was time to go.

Junior winced when Evan's hand grazed his stomach. It was a tiny movement, lasting just a fracture of a second. Anyone else would have missed it, but as Evan's focus was fixated on Junior he couldn't.

"Are you hurt again?" He frowned.

"It's nothing, let's just go." Junior retorted and turned to leave, but Evan made him halt by grabbing his wrist.

"Did Paul do it?" Evan asked, narrowing his eyes. Junior just shook his head, an obstinate look in his silver eyes. He looked like he wanted to run away, to avoid having the conversation with Evan.

"What happened then?" Evan wouldn't let him go so easily.

"Seriously, just leave it." Junior snarled. He was getting frustrated.