CHAPTER 7: The owie in your head

Evan Cooper

Evan had noticed the change in Junior's behavior, and how one moment he had excelled in the game and the next turned pale and out of breath. But as Junior had told him he was fine in a tone that suggested it was better to leave him alone, Evan had returned his focus back to the game.

Only when the class was over, Evan realized Junior was missing. Seeing that made his stomach lurch, for whatever reason. It was possible Junior had just had enough from the game and left early, but the way he had been smirking at Evan didn't support the theory. But then again, he could rarely tell what was going on in Junior's mind anyway.

Evan followed his friends to the locker room. He didn't see anything out of ordinary at first, but then Chase walked to the door that led to the hallway. Evan could see from the door, which was left ajar, that Chase wasn't the only one who had noticed something was off. They were all staring at something in total silence.

When Evan saw what they were staring at, he drew in a sharp breath. For a few seconds he just froze, not knowing what to say or do.

"What the fuck is wrong with you?" He then snapped at the crowd and elbowed his way to Junior.

Evan dropped to his knees and tried to wake Junior up by gently shaking his shoulder. Then by shaking a little rougher. Junior had been fine just a moment ago, and now he was laying on the floor, his face ashen and lips whitened. His face was damp from sweat, but his skin cool.

"Don't just stand there, do something!" Evan shouted and turned to stare at the people around him, desperate to get through their stupor. Why was no one doing anything?

"Fine, I'll do it then." He said when no one still showed any intention of helping. Evan hauled Junior in his arms and carried him all the way to the nurse's office. Junior's body felt sluggish against Evan's, which only doubled his concern.

What if Paul did something worse this time? What if something has gone terribly wrong?

The nurse was in and immediately rushed to them. Evan set Junior down on the treatment table. Only then Evan noticed how heavily he was breathing, gulping in gasps of air, and it wasn't just from the physical exertion. He was freaking out, big time.

"I don't know what happened. He seemed fine this morning, but then he just got pale and out of breath.. and I found him like that." Evan stammered, his eyes not leaving Junior's bleak face and whitened lips.

The nurse, who had taken care of Junior's bruises after the fight, recognized him without trouble. After Junior had left the nurse's office that day, she had looked up his file. Out of worry and out of curiosity, because he had refused to let her look at the injury on his upper body.

"Paul Jr. Campbell? He's diabetic, type one." The nurse said and hurried to get some kind of a syringe.

"What?" Evan breathed.

"He hasn't mentioned it? Well, he should have. His friends should know so they know how to treat him, if something like this happens." The nurse explained while turning Junior to lay on his side and injected the content of the syringe in his arm. "I gave him a glucagon injection, it should take ten to fifteen minutes till the blood sugar is back up."

Dario Ortiz

"Dad said you have an owie in your head again." Valeria opened the door and rushed in, Natalia following right at her footsteps. The girls hopped on Dario's bed and gave him a hug with their tiny arms. They were both petite, like Dario, and small for their age.

"I'm fine, I just need to rest a bit." Dario promised. He mustered a weary smile and wrapped his arms around his little sisters.

"Mom says you have to come down and eat something." Natalia whispered while her brown eyes examined Dario in awe. He had barely slept and his hair was a mess, but to her he was still the same big brother to look up to.