Chapter four: Brave new world

She began to run out into the wilderness aimlessly for hours. She paused at a cliff edge and looked around, her Ghost trilled,

"You should rest... it's getting dark, you're not going to see the whole planet in one day...and the night becomes a hunting grounds for the enemies of humanity, as you look like a guardian they will not hesitate to try and murder you"

Callie sat on the cliff, her legs dangling over the edge, as her Ghost checked her over,

"... have you always had such endurance?"

Callie chuckled,

"Not even remotely. But the way I see it is, the pain is just your body telling you that you're at your limit."

She looked over at her Ghost who seemed confused,

"Don't you get it? I don't have limits any more because I'm immortal... the pain is just something I've learnt from my past life, so I just have to unlearn it."

She went quiet for a while, her mind raced over what she had heard and how it all happened. She thought of the people she'd left behind, would they find her corpse? Or would she just become a missing person? She wondered about how long each of her family members and friends would look for her before giving up. Callie's heart skipped a beat when she thought of her uncle, who was really more like a father figure. He would be driven mad looking for her, but mostly everyone else would just give up. Uncle Loche had always been an outcast of the family, so he and Callie got along like a house on fire, at least when Callie's family would let him come around. He'd always been concerned with space and said there was more out there than we could ever imagine... She chuckled while silent tears rolled down her cheeks at the thought of him seeing this world. How he would react to space travel and going to other planets. He used to say such strange things and talked in half sentences, as if he was having half a conversation with someone that wasn't there. That was something that made Callie feel more 'normal' even if she hid it when she felt those same urges. But she realised as she grew older her family would let him come around less and less, but he was never really exiled from the family because he was somehow ridiculously wealthy, always made the best investments and Callie's family had come to depend on his money, so they couldn't afford to just cut him off. Callie spent about half an hour thinking about all the people she'd met and how her life had changed so quickly without warning.

"Some one or something brought me here, changed me into this... If they can do that, then maybe they can change it back... and maybe even get me back to my own time."

Her Ghost perked up,

"You wont find those answers here... but I might know a good place to begin... it'll be dangerous though... we have no idea what the motives of those behind this had for you, and they may very well just destroy you."

Callie held her knees up to her chest and thought for a minute,

"If I had to choose between never having a hope of going back thus resigning myself to this new life, or embracing the tools I've been given to find a way back home...even if that could mean my death... I'm going to figure this out."

Her Ghost bleeped excitedly,

"Okay."

She could hear foot steps behind her approaching as she stood and looked around, making his way out of the woods behind her was the drifter, smirking he chuckled.

"That's good to hear kid, but there's a few things you should know before you go blazin' down that path..."

Callie drew her hand cannon and aimed it right at him, trying to size up the man she thought was at least someone who would help her in this messed up world.