FACTIONLESS: Chapter 1

Food. Finally. Gray clothed figures emerge from behind the buildings. Abnegation. The only faction that cares about us. Besides Dauntless, they are the only faction that even comes NEAR us. Dauntless only comes near us to keep us from killing each other. The Abnegation get closer. Some are holding baskets of food, others heavy blankets, jackets and clothes.

I seek out the woman who I've become friends with; Mrs. Prior. I see her bright smile and her hand waving to me. I run over to her. She is holding a basket full of apples and rolls. He offers me one of each. I start eating, and help her pass around the rest of her basket fast so we will have time to talk. Once we're done, Mrs. Prior grabs me a blanket and I wrap myself up and we sit on the ground next to each other.

She is very tense and I ask her why. She explains that her children, Beatrice and Caleb were choosing tomorrow.

"Oh", I say. I try to think of something to comfort her, but my mind is totally blank.

"Yes, but I still love them even if they don't choose abnegation." She says, looking at her hands. She must be really upset because she always looks deep into my eyes when she talks to me.

"Of course you do. They are still you children and they will always be with you." There it is. My mind is clearing up.

She looks up and smiles widely at me.

"I know. Thank you."

"You're welcome"

She looks past me at the group of Abnegation she came with. They are done passing out what they brought.

"I have to go now", she smiled and gives me a hug, "goodbye. And thank you again for your support."

"Goodbye! See you next time! And your welcome!"

She scoops up her empty basket and says goodbye to everyone.

The gray figures start disappearing behind the buildings. Right before Mrs. Prior disappears, she waves to me. I wave back.

I sit there for a while thinking. What if I wasn't factionless? What if I was with my mother in Abnegation? Or Candor? Or any faction? What if I was choosing tomorrow like Mrs. Prior's children? What would I choose? Am I selfless? Kind? Honest? Intelligent? Brave?

Sometimes I am mad at my mother for being factionless, for having me. Just because my mother doesn't fit in any faction, doesn't mean I don't! But its not her fault.

At that I get up and look for my mother. She is two buildings down, leaning against it near the broken down door. She is curled up in a blanket and eating a roll slowly, savor ing each bite. I should probably do that. Then I wouldn't be so hungry all the time.

I see the beautiful purple, orange, pink, and yellow of the setting sun. I flop down next to my mom and snuggle up next to her.

The world shrinks around me, darkness closing it out.