MYSTERY: Chapter 7

Mrs. Prior.

She had to know who my mother was.

If what my mom said about being a faction leader was true.

I walked up to her from behind her, so she didn't see me until I came around to her face.

"Hi Mrs. Prior!" I smiled at her.

"Hi Nat!" She said smiling back at me, "And how many times do I have to tell you? Call me Natalie!"

"No, it feels weird calling you Natalie when my name is Natalie!"

"Ok, fine," she said defeatedly.

We sat down next to each other.

"I have more time today, because I have no one to go home to." She said sadly, looking down at her feet.

"Oh," I understood. her children had left Abnegation. "where did they go?"

"My son went to Erudite, and my daughter went to Dauntless," she answered, like she was empty inside.

"Oh, it's ok. At least you still have your husband," I told her trying to cheer her up, "I have no one."

"What do you mean?" she asked confused, "What about your mom? And that friend of yours?" she winked.

I blushed. I don't know why, he's only my friend.

"We're only friends. . . And. . . my mom isn't. . . my mom." I told her.

She looked confused for a second, then her face softened.

"Oh, Nat. I'm so sorry. Are you alright? Do you want to talk about it?" She asked like she was my mother.

"I'm fine. I was mad for a while but I'm ok now. And yes actually, that was what I was planning to do all along."

"Ok, well I'm listening. What happened?"

"Well, basically my mom left me with Carol when I was a month old. She claimed that she would take me back, but as you can see that never happened. All she left me was a picture and a note. Oh, and she told Carol that she was a faction leader, so I was hoping you would recognize her." I explained pulling the picture out of the inside of my jacket.

As if we were exchanging, she handed me an apple and a warm roll as I handed her the picture. The only thing I have of my real mother.

"She looks familiar, but I can't put my finger on who she is." She said after a while of staring intently at the picture. "I can see you in her. Or more like her in you." She said flickering her eyes between the picture and me.

I smiled.

"Do you know her name?" She said after a long pause, "That might help me figure out who she is."

"No, sorry." I answered disappointed. That would make this whole thing so much easier. Just her name. "She never told Carol."

"Oh," she answered still looking at the picture, her eyebrows creased.

"Mrs. Prior?" I asked. She looked up.
"I need to find her."