ANDREW: Chapter 4

"WHAT?!?!" I screamed at her. That was all I could say. My whole world fell apart with those four words. It was cracking before, but now it's broken.

She's not my mother? Why would she keep this from me? And this long? Why?? If she's not my mother then who is?? I was afraid to find out but I still wanted to.

She looked at me with sympathy. That just made me more mad. I hated her. For keeping this from me.

"Honey, I know-"

That's when I cracked.

"DON'T CALL ME HONEY!" I snapped, "AND YOU DON'T KNOW! YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT IT FEELS LIKE TO FIND OUT THAT THE WOMAN WHO RAISED YOU ISN'T YOUR MOTHER!!! AND THAT YOUR REAL MOTHER IS SOMEWHERE OUT THERE IN THE WORLD AND YOU DON'T EVEN KNOW WHAT SHE LOOKS LIKE!!!" I wanted to stay before, so she could explain it. But I didn't care anymore. I didn't need to care. She wasn't my mother. I ripped my feet off of the ground and stomped out the door and back out of the building.

I took a step out what was left of the doorway and my eyes were already stinging. Holding back tears. Before I knew it my eyes were soaking wet with salty tears. I couldn't hold it in anymore.

People were giving me weird looks, so I turned into the nearest building as fast as I could. I flopped into a corner, my arms wrapped around my knees and my face on my thighs. I sobbed my eyes out.

When I was almost done, I felt a hand touch my arm. I flinched thinking it was my former mother following me.

It wasn't.

"Are you ok, Nat?" an all too familiar voice said.

Andrew.

"Ya, I'm fine" I sniffed, "thanks Andrew."

"No you're not." He knew me too well. We have only been friends for almost a year but he knew everything about me. Or at least everything I knew about myself.

He plopped down next to me.

"What's wrong?" He stared into my eyes. I looked back at him giving him a look that said: Please don't make me tell you. His eyes gave me a look saying: You are going to tell me one way or another. After that little eye battle I gave up.

I sighed.

"Well, this morning I found out that 16-year old factionless can choose," he looked surprised, "and just now I found out that Carol isn't my real mother."

"WHAT?!?!" His bright blue eyes looked like they were going to burst out of his head.

I laughed a little.

"That was exactly my reaction", I told him.

"I can't even think of anything to say right now! I'm just blown away!" He said, shaking his head, "I can't believe how hard that would be for you."

He is so kind and caring. I still wonder why he didn't choose Amity. Andrew was an Erudite born and chose Erudite to be with his family. I guess he wasn't smart enough because he failed his initiation. And now he's here.

"Yeah, but I don't want to talk about it right now", I said looking down at my hands.

"It's ok, I understand." He said touching my shoulder.

Then I was sobbing again. I fell onto Andrew and cried into his chest. He put his arm around me and rubbed my back.

"Ssshhhh...... it's ok..... just let it all out........ ssshhhh.....its ok...... you're ok...." He whispered into my ear.

After I was done crying, we stayed in that position. Me leaning against his chest listening to his even breathing, him whispering comforting words into my left ear. Occasionally rubbing my back.

I wanted to stay here forever. To drown my sorrows in tears. With my best friend right next to me.

Andrew.