Chapter 5: The Date - Part 2

A.N. - The songs referred to below are "Don't Stop Believin" by Journey and "You're the One that I Want" by John Travolta & Olivia Newton-John.

Now that was a close one.

Blowhole might have slightly underestimated just how sensitive and anxious Kowalski was, but he knew now so he could adjust accordingly.

So he didn't think he was interested, eh? Oh he'll see interested if that's what he wanted. He hasn't felt flustered yet, not as as much as he will before the evening is over.

"This way, Kowalski." He nudged the penguin in the direction of the karaoke machine. "And don't worry, most of our audience is too wasted to pay you any attention."

"If you say so..." He cleared his throat, waddling by Blowhole, being careful not to get too close to the Segway wheel.

"Of course I say so. Trust me, I am a dolphin after all." He winked at him...or well, tried to.

Kowalski looked away, his feathers ruffled slightly.

Blowhole smirked slightly to himself. So Kowalski could tell a wink from a blink? It was about time SOMEONE appreciated his winks.

"So Kowalski, is there any song you want to sing? Perhaps a favorite tune?"

The penguin looked thoughtful for a moment. "I guess...maybe... 'Don't Stop Believin'?"

"Good choice." The dolphin nodded, rolling over to the DJ.

So perhaps the peng-u-in had decent music taste after all. He would admit he was picturing him to suggest something more dorky and obscure. Perhaps he really didn't know him as well as he thought.

Blowhole got the microphones and tossed one to Kowalski. "You're not going to get stage fright and faint or something, right?"

"I'm not a fainter, I'm a panicker," he said, standing a little taller.

"Oh, I see, so I should prepare for you to scream and run off stage." He chuckled.

"Ye—NO! I'm not going to panic over karaoke." He looked down at the microphone in his flipper. "I'm not a chicken. I just haven't done something like this in years."

"That's rough, buddy."

Kowalski glanced up at him. "You know, you're quite sarcastic."

"Sarcasm is the lowest form of wit, but the highest form of intelligence."

"Oscar Wilde, nice." He chuckled.

Blowhole nodded and nudged him towards the stage. "We can talk more later. Now quit stalling and get up there."

Kowalski scowled slightly, but finally hopped up onto the small stage. Blowhole rolled up the ramp on the other side and looked out at the small crowd of other animals. As predicted, none were paying them any attention yet. But of course, when they sang they would. After all, who could resist paying attention to a couple of guys who could actually sing performing karaoke for once?

He glanced down at Kowalski. The peng-u-in had moved closer to him and was practically behind him. He nodded to the DJ to start and leaned closer to Kowalski. He would start it off gently and help ease the peng-u-in into it.

"Just a small town girl
Living in a lonely world
She took the midnight train
Going anywhere."

Kowalski licked his beak and picked up the next part.

"Just a city boy
Born and raised in South Detroit
He took the midnight train
Going anywhere."

From there, they continued singing together the rest of the song. As they progressed, Kowalski seemed to become less timid and more comfortable, which was exactly what Blowhole had expected. So now that he wasn't quivering behind him, they could have some fun with this.