Chapter 7: A Gamble

"Hey Doc?"

Blowhole looked up from a blueprint he was working on. He grabbed a coffee mug that was sitting nearby. "Yes, Red One?"

"For project Firefly, did you have anything you wanted to add after last night?"

"Oh right." He sipped his coffee thoughtfully. "You are prepared to take notes?"

Red One nodded, awkwardly holding a pencil and notepad.

"There is unrest among the peng-u-ins. Namely between Kowalski and Skipper." He took another sip. "Kowalski is feeling underappreciated... He could probably be convinced to consider other employment options."

"So you want him working here? Wouldn't that be awkward?"

"What do you mean?"

"I mean, you went on a date with him. Then you would start working with him?"

Blowhole looked at him and rolled his eye. "No, it wouldn't be awkward."

"But wouldn't it be like working with your ex?"

"It was just one date. He's not an ex, we weren't dating. One date doesn't make an ex, it makes a trial."

"Like in an experiment?"

"Exactly. It was just an experiment."

"But don't you usually perform at least three trials per experiment to make sure you have the most accurate data?"

Blowhole looked at him. How dare that crustacean make a valid point. But well, it wasn't an official experiment. It was fine as it was, surely.

"Eh, it was just testing if his invention worked."

"I'm just saying, Doc, did you really test it with just one trial?"

"It was tested. We went on a date. We talked. We sang. It was tested."

"And how did it go?... For me to note in the report."

Blowhole narrowed his eye at him. "How it went is unimportant to project Firefly, Red One."

Red One shrugged. "Was worth a shot." He murmured.

"I have nothing else for you to note right now, you're excused." He turned away, sitting the cup back on the table. He looked at the blueprints again.

How did it go? How did it go?

Blowhole sighed, shaking his head. It hadn't gone as badly as he had maybe expected. It actually had gone pretty well. That was the problem.

He sketched along a ruler edge. If he did participate in more trials with Kowalski, then he might develop attachments to him. Developing a loyalty bond with one of the peng-u-ins who constantly foil his plans, was a bad idea to put it simply.

Then again.

Blowhole paused and tapped his pencil to his rostrum. Kowalski was standing with one foot out the door of his unit so to speak. He could possibly be convinced to change sides. That wouldn't be so bad...