Chapter 11: Advising

"Kowaaaaalski. Kowalski, wake up."

Kowalski blinked in confusion and looked around. "Hmm?"

"We're back in New York. You're going to want to slide fast. It took a little longer to get back than I had anticipated. So uh, you might want to start planning your excuse for Skipper."

He rubbed his face. "What time?"

"It's a quarter til 6"

Kowalski sat bolt upright. "NEWTON'S KNICKERS!"

Blowhole picked him up and put him on the ground. "Yeah so, we can talk more later."

"Yeah, yeah. Thanks, bye." He nodded and quickly slid away for the zoo.

Oh cod. What excuse could he have for being out until dawn? Woke up in the night, went for a waddle, dozed off in the park? Horrible excuse, but maybe Skipper would believe it.

Kowalski jumped over the wall and into the pool. He jumped onto the ice flow and shook himself, feeling far more awake now. He went to open the hatch, but instead it opened for him and he met Skipper.

"Good morning, sir." He smiled sheepishly.

Skipper looked at him, frowning. "I'm listening."

"Well you see, last night I was working on my newest invention and it got rather hot and stuffy in my lab, so I went for a waddle. At one point I sat down and apparently I dozed off. Ha... Sorry for any concern I may have caused."

He squinted at him but then nodded. "Try not to make this a habit, Kowalski."

"Right, sir. I promise it won't become one." He quickly saluted before passing him and dropping down into the HQ. He let out a sigh of relief and waddled to his lab. That had been closer than he would have liked.

A few hours later, after they had trained and the zoo was slower in visitation, Kowalski was in his lab, doodling in his notes. He was completely oblivious to Private sneaking in and watching over his shoulder.

"That's a nice dolphin."

Kowalski's flipper jerked and he drew a line up the page.

"You're still seeing him, aren't you?"

"WhAt?! NO."

Private crossed his flippers and gave him a look. "Oh really?"

Kowalski looked at him and sighed. "Alright, fine... Yes, I am. But please don't tell Skipper." He tapped his flipper tips together.

"Have I ever tattled on you to Skipper?"

"Well..."

"You were endangering yourself that time, that's different from dating someone Skipper doesn't like." He shook his head.

"Even when that someone is a dolphin who is set on world domination?"

Private sat beside him. "If penguins can change, I'm sure dolphins can too. Maybe you could convince him to stop being evil."

He snorted. "He runs a business in selling evil inventions. I do not see him giving that up any time soon."

"Well...can't any invention be used for good or evil, really? I know you've had a few that's straddled the line."

"What evil invention of mine are you talking about?"

"For starters, your death ray? Or what about that quantum acceleration thingy?"

Kowalski looked at him and then nodded sideways. "Alright, point made."

"So by that principle, his inventions could also be used for good." Private smiled at him. "He just needs a reason to be good."