Chapter 12: Planning

Blowhole checked the time on his phone while he listened to a lobster prattle on about his current stock position. All of this information could have been summarized in an email and he was ready to move on to other things that required his attention.

"—And that concludes the stock situation."

Finally.

Blowhole nodded. "Good to see we're still at the top of our market, Red Twelve. Thank you. Now, if you'll excuse me I'm needed at..."

"Scheme planning, Doc," Red One says, looking at a clipboard.

"Scheme planning. Wait, didn't I meet with them last week?"

"Yeah, but they have more for you to sign off on."

"Of course they do." He sighed, but followed the lobster out.

Red One looked up at him. "So uh, Doc, your date last night went pretty well right? Anything you want me to add to Project Firefly?"

Blowhole glanced down at him. "Make a note about the possum mother. Also—" He paused for a moment. "Actually, I'll add the other details myself later."

"So that's all?"

"Yes. That's all," he said with a slight edge to his voice, as though threatening him to continue the conversation.

"Gotcha, Doc." Red One closed the file as they entered the scheming room.

The lobsters looked up and the chorus of "Doc! Doc!" began. Blowhole sighed and listened to them, signing off as needed. Some days, he wished they could scheme without his constant approval and supervision... But then again, these were his schemes they were working with.

"Red Thirty-Seven, double check your math and we'll chat next time." He glanced at the clock.

Why was it so hard to concentrate today? The clock was moving so slowly... But what was he waiting for? Zoo closing time? Surely he was not waiting for the time he knew Kowalski should be available to call?

No, no, that couldn't be it. Maybe he was forgetting some appointment or something? That must be it. Why would he care if Kowalski got in trouble because he got him home late?

Crabcakes. That was it.

Blowhole signed the last request form, shaking his head. Starting to care about his enemy was not part of his plans for Firefly. Starting to care about his enemy could render anything that could potentially harm Kowalski unusable...which was why he chose not to disclose phone information to Red One for the file. Kowalski did after all keep his and his teammates's schedules and even some notes on his phone. All of which could be extremely useful.

He rubbed his flipper over his face with a groan. Loyalty bonding... Such an inconvenience sometimes. He could try resisting it and call off their third date. The slight bonding would most likely fade in a few months tops. And yet, did he really want to resist the bonding?

"Red One."

The lobster scurried over. "Yeah, Doc?"

"I'm going to my lab. While I'm there, I do not want to be disturbed."

"Gotcha, Doc. I'll reschedule the meeting with—"

"Yeah, yeah, reschedule whatever. Just email me with the details." He nodded, already rolling away.

However, his lab was not empty as he was expecting.

"Have you been waiting for me, Parker?"

The monotreme shrugged, hopping down from the table. "Not long. Main thing is I got that part for satellite thing. Left it in hanger C." He crossed his arms.