( six )

───────────────

───────────────

STEADY BREATHS LEFT y/n's lips as she stared up at this... thing in front of her.

"light. what is this thing? do i need to call an exorcist?" her eyes darted to light and back to the strange creature.

"hey, i have a name you know." ryuk backed away from the very confused woman and sat on light's bed. "it's ryuk. nice to meet ya, lady. and by the way, i'm not a demon. i hate those foul things."

y/n shook her head back and forth. 'you're part of the detective agency! this shouldn't be that scary.'

light watched y/n's next moves silently. if y/n opposed any threat to him, he would be in a lot of trouble. the evidence was in her very hands. not to mention he doesn't even know the girl's full name.

"ultra deduction."

y/n examined the mysterious species that treated light's room as its home until all the information she needed flee into her mind.

"ah. i see. never did i think that i would meet a god of death today." y/n muttered incoherent words while both ryuk and light were perplexed.

"y-y/n. can i have the notebook back. please?" light tried to grab the book but y/n quickly pulled away from light.

"oh no light. you have a literal god of death lurking in your room and it seems like you knew about it. or maybe i should call you kira? which would you prefer?"

y/n had both sides wrapped around her little finger.

light was rendered speechless as he watched his classmate throw the death note up and down as if it was some kind of child's toy.

"be careful!" light stumbled as he tried to approach the girl again. before she could reply, light continued. "look. you're training to become a detective, right? so... if i get rid of all the criminals, you won't have to do anything! just sit back and watch me form this perfect world with me! i need someone like you to rule with me, okay? you're perfect."

light wasn't bluffing at this statement. he needed someone smart who could follow through with his plans. y/n just happened to be that person. she had no criminal background and is studying for a profession that helps keep peace. these qualities were something that light needed.

y/n on the other hand, was flabbergasted. did this student fresh out of high school really just ask her if she wanted to sit back and watch him murder thousands of people all while studying to become a detective?

"light, are you hearing yourself? i thought you were smarter than this." y/n beseeched.

y/n was stumped. this case wasn't directly given to the armed detective agency so she had no right to just waltz over to the police station and hand over light. that would cause even more unnecessary problems.

'i guess i'll have to follow along with light for the time being. and maybe i shouldn't have told L his real name. he probably suspects me as kira now.' y/n thought out each of her steps carefully in her head in seconds.

"okay, light. i'll help you since we're friends." y/n lied. "but don't blame me if i do something wrong."

"i won't." light barely contained his laugh as he had a new "ally" on his side.

'even if y/n does find a way to betray me, i'll find out her last name one way or another. i won't kill her, of course. but i can at least threaten her and that'll do just fine.' light inwardly smiled.

another ring of a doorbell caught the two's attention.

sayu's voice could be heard downstairs calling for her elder brother.

"light! there's a girl here looking for you!"

───────────────

( a/n: death note is such a complex plot to work around

( a/n: death note is such a complex plot to work around. i admire all authors who've written death note fanfics because holy shizz this is hard.

and due to all the helpful feedback and comments, i've changed y/n's last name to 'edogawa' rather than 'ranpo.' thank you for the constructive criticism!! )