Chapter 1- Beneath a Silent Sky

The day began unlike the others...

The weather seemed to spite me with its inconsistency. The rain was cold as it fell over my hair and into my face. It dripped down my arms and seeped into the fabric of my worn and very thin clothing.

I huddled for warmth in the crook of my small makeshift home. The small she- wolf at my side did little to insulate and instead only furthered my discomfort as her wet fur rubbed at my side, irritating my skin.

I reached out to pet her wet fur, only to hear a small grumble erupt from her chest. Her eyes peeled open for two seconds before she closed them again and fully tucked her head under her tail. I didn't bother feeling hurt, since I rescued her a week ago, she has had the same temperament towards me, tolerable.

I knew if her shoulder didn't have a huge gash in it, she would probably be more resistant. I edged away from the animal.

My stomach growled, telling me once again that I needed to find something to eat quickly.

I looked back to the stormy sky as a flash of light filled the area before a short reverberant boom came after it. I knew with the first few drops that any huntable gain would be hiding from the rain.

It didn't matter that just yesterday, the sun shone brightly, the air warm with no hint of a chill, or that the past few weeks had been just as predictable. Not a cloud in sight had cast a shadow over the trees.

Had I known it was going to be like this I would have prepared to stay inside today and fixed some rations ahead of time.

I held my hand out, cupping it up to the sky to catch the falling rainwater, before bringing the pooled water to my mouth to take a sip. The water didn't taste as crisp as the rivers, but it would have to do.

I dragged my sleeved arm across my face in a futile attempt to wipe away the water as well as muffle the sniff from my runny nose, the oncoming cold inevitable as my damp clothes and hair took all warmth from me. When the hours ticked on well into the evening, and the rain showed no sign of lightening.

I readied myself to leave the dry spot I had found beneath my small makeshift hut, brushing off the leaves and dirt that clung to my clothes. Before stepping out, I checked on the injured wolf nestled in the corner. Its breathing was steady but shallow, the wound still raw but showing signs of healing.

She blinked at me, her amber eyes following my movements with a mix of trust and wariness. I crouched down and gently ran my hand over her fur, careful to avoid the wound. "Stay here," I whispered, though I doubted she would try to follow me. The wolf had little energy to do much besides rest.

Satisfied that she would be safe for the time being, I slipped out into the woods, my boots sloshing slightly with every step into the mud. The familiar path stretched ahead of me, one I had walked countless times before.

The trees rustled with a gentle breeze, and the scent of pine and wet soil filled the air, grounding me as I moved through the forest. My steps were light but sure, navigating the terrain with practiced ease.

But as I neared the fork in the trail, my pace quickened, almost unconsciously. To the left, the overgrown path loomed, choked with brambles and charred underbrush. 

The trees that once stood tall were now gnarled and twisted, their bark blackened and peeling as if the fire hadn't left its mark years ago.

I felt a familiar, uneasy tug in my gut—an instinct I couldn't explain. I didn't remember why I avoided that path, only that I should. Something deep inside me, a forgotten warning, told me not to linger.