Chapter 39: Unseen Archives and Suspicious Activities

I had to admire his suit. From my position behind James, I could make out the details in the nicely tailored garment.

It was navy blue in color with thin white stripes throughout. I made note of the number of strips as I counted what had to have been the third time.

As the search for Cassandra and Nick persisted, it became apparent that they possessed a remarkable talent for covering their tracks.

Despite the numerous security measures and personnel scattered throughout the building, no one could provide us with any information on their whereabouts.

The more James's frustration manifested, the more sympathy I felt for the workers. There was a severe amount of secondhand fear witnessing their reactions.

After exhausting all routes as far as witnesses. We now stood where we started, at the receptionist's desk.

Her tapping had long since ceased as had any noise the women made at all. I started closely and could swear she was holding her breath even.

"Good morning, Mr. Thomas. How can I assist you?"

I looked over to gauge his expression. With a composed demeanor, James addressed the receptionist.

"Good morning," he said, his tone cool and collected. "I'm afraid we still haven't located the two teenagers that were here earlier. You said you haven't seen them leave, Correct?"

"Yes, sir." she replied, her voice barely above a whisper. "I haven't seen them leave the building."

He turned to face me again, "You said they came here for a project? To look for what?"

A sweat immediately broke out across my body." They didn't say really..."

Infront me a voice chirped. "They requested to see the archives, so I'm assuming a history paper. I sent them to the library last. I haven't seen them sense."

I wanted to be angry with the woman for giving him such a lead, but the look on her face told me she was just trying to stay out of the crossfire. I couldn't blame her for trying to absolve herself of any part of this mistake.

I could tell the information was surprising to him considering the way he turned his head to stare hard at the receptionist, "Thank you, Amanda" She nodded her head before zoning back into the computer she was typing at.

Without a word he turned and exited the small room. I knew to follow instinctively. We found our way to the library where I embarrassingly remembered we hadn't put any of the newspapers back.

My eyes scanned the room, taking in the scattered piles of periodicals strewn across the polished floor, a disarray that marred the otherwise stately atmosphere of the library.

James knelt down gracefully, his hands reaching out to gather the discarded newspapers. His demeanor conveyed a sense of displeasure, as if the disorderly scene offended his meticulous nature.

I rushed to his side, joining him in the task of gathering the papers, my mind still swirling with excuses to hide my otherwise embarrassment.

"Well, I can tell they were here at least," James remarked, his voice tinged with irritation.

 "If they were as careless with their presence as they were with these newspapers," he gestured towards the scattered piles on the floor, "I can guarantee we will find them soon."

I could only nod, my voice failing me for fear it would give away my lie if I spoke. That is if my expression had not already. Although initially burdened by the task, James soon found interest in the newspapers.