Chapter 48 - Don't Tell Me Anything

I didn't expect much when I walked into my bedroom, but two intermingling bodies was not what I would have ever guessed.

I pressed myself to the door. "Guys!"

I heard them scramble apart, gathering themselves I assume.  A spew of sorrys and groans meshed together in the chaos. I covered my ears in addition to my eyes, not wanting to hear it.

"I don't care. Are the clothes on?" I said with my head pressed to the door.

Once the coast was clear, I turned to Cassandra and Nick who looked ready to explain themselves.

I held up one hand, "I'm gonna pretend that never happened. I want you guys to do the same."

Both of their mouths shut as they nodded, not trying to speak, I suppose out of embarrassment. It seemed Nick's brain had finally come back to him as he almost leaped forward and grabbed my arm with the enthusiasm of a puppy.

"How are you alive right now?" He shook me lightly as he said this.

I'm confused, and slightly disgusted he was touching me after what I just saw.

"What?". I peeled his hand off my arm.

His blonde hair waved as he shook his head back and forth," How did you survive Mr. Thomas after he caught you?"

I rubbed my temples, getting tired of reciting this over again. "It's a long story, Nick. But in short, I made up a believable excuse, and he bought it. Sort of."

Nick's eyebrows shot up in surprise. "You talked your way out of it? I didn't think that was possible with him."

Cassandra looked between us, "Jane, maybe we should take a step back. If James suspected something, he might start keeping a closer eye on us. And if he knows you're lying..."

The implication is understood. If he was truly the monster Carson said he was then I'm sure he wouldn't put those tendencies past me either.

I looked Cassandra in the eye, trying to reassure her. Ironically, because I was definitely not sure about anything.

"At this point, this is all too big to turn back. We have been noticed whether we like it or not. We have to see this through. For our safety" I reasoned.

Cassandra nodded in thought, while Nick was not in opposition, he also nodded his head with her.

"Carson gave me this," I brought out the phone to show the both of them

Cassandra and Nick leaned in to examine the phone, "What's this for?"

"Carson said it's a secure line," I explained, flipping the phone open to show them. "He'll contact me through this. He didn't want to risk any of our regular phones being tracked I guess."

Cassandra scoffed, "And you trust him?"

I shrugged, feeling the weight of my own uncertainty. "I don't know if I trust him, but he's the only lead we have."

The drop of fight left Cassandra as she looked at me, "Okay, just be -" I interrupted her

"Careful, I know." The number of times I've heard that recently...

My concentration was sharply broken as a piercing sound came through the room and soon glass was raining down around us.

My ears rang as Cassandra was pushed to the floor by Nick. Time seemed to move slower around us as we huddled together.

I struggled to catch my breath. My heart pounded in my chest as I processed the scene. Nick's hand was on my shoulder, his grip tight, his face a mask of alarm. Cassandra's wide eyes were fixed on the shattered window, her smaller body trembling underneath mine.