Chapter 51 - Alliances and Antibodies

A bright and beaming smile erupted the second James and I came into view.

Her hands clasped each other in excitement as she stepped past James to wrap her arms around my waist.

"You look so different from when I saw you last!"

My arms dangled in the air unsure about the interaction and taken aback by her sudden appearance.

I felt the pressure of her embrace for about a whole of two seconds before she was yanked from me.

James had the back of her dress balled in his hand as he craned his neck to look down at her.

"You shouldn't hug people without their permission. Why are you here? I'm working."

Her feet were touching the ground but her heels were dangling just a smidge in the air. The girl growled like some small, wild, red headed lion. Her arms moved around her trying to loosen his grip on her.

"Damn it, James. Let me go!"

She wiggled and writhed until he set her back down on the ground and released her dress.

Her happiness quickly diminished to suspicion as she eyed James, "You didn't say she was going to be here today."

James crossed his arms and huffed at the girl. "Since when did I have to start giving you updates?"

Pretoria's face reddened as her glare became a sharp and spitting fire, "You just want her all to your-."

"Jane! Can you step out for a moment, please?" James cut her off.

My name suddenly being called made me jump, causing me to stumble not so delicately out of the room in a clumsy hurry.

I closed the door behind me only to hear instant muffled and indistinguishable shouting. I'm relieved to have been asked to leave, happy I'm no longer in the room with the two of them.

I pushed my back to the thundering voices in the room, and leaned on the door. Minutes passed and after the voices only grew more intense, I sat down next to the door. Figuring this was not going to end anytime soon.

I hugged my legs as I rested my back on the wall not paying any attention to things around me.

Distant clicking came into the corridor, I guess Amanda was back with coffee. I closed my eyes, not wanting to deal with the woman, and also hoping she would walk in on the screaming fest inside. I know it's cruel, but it is funny, especially after this morning...

I felt the footsteps near and move to stand in front of me. Still I didn't open my eyes. Big mistake on my part as a sharp kick to the side came swiftly and unexpected.

My eyes flew open as my body went falling to the side, my arms shooting out to steady myself before I face planted.

"Hey!" I started, only to be met with a loud "Shush."

My hair obstructed my vision as I looked up, expecting to see Amanda standing there with a proud look on her face, maybe the edges of a laugh about to come.

Instead, a very close Emmaline stood, pointer finger to her lips. Indication clear, don't speak. Disoriented and confused, I nodded.

Emmaline looked to the door and then to me, reaching a hand out for me to take. My stomach dropped, unsure again what to do. It was my turn to look back at the door and I wondered if I should get James.

At the hesitation she waved her hand frantically, a crazed look in her eyes as she kept gazing back and forth between us and the door. I remembered the last time we spoke and decided to reach my hand forward and take hers. She warned me right last,so I'm hoping trusting her now won't backfire.