Chapter 45 - Revelations

The cicadas sang loudly, ringing the inside of my ears like tiny bells.

A helpful distraction to the two quarreling teens next to me. "Nick, I've told you that Harrison likes me. It means nothing, lots of people like me!"

The truck jerked as Nick responded quickly, looking over at her, "That's fine, but say you have a boyfriend next time. How would you like it if a girl came up to me flirting right in front of you and all I said was 'Thank you'?

She continued to refute that it was a harmless interaction, but I didn't keep paying attention long enough to follow the story. The scene rapidly passing by me seemed a lot more interesting.

Other than us, the roads were empty. With the windows all rolled down, It was quiet outside save for the revving engine of the truck and the verbal throwdown happening in the front seat.

We also had to take the back roads to avoid being seen.

The argument eventually did spill onto me though as Nick voiced his concerns for our excursion for the hundredth time.

"I'm already on thin ice with my mom after the Town Hall situation. If she gets home any sooner from her shift at the hospital, I will be grounded for the rest of high school."

Cassandra leaned back in her seat; her voice softer now. "We won't let anything happen, okay? We'll be in and out, quick."

Nick grumbled something under his breath but didn't argue further. The truck continued down the winding road, the headlights cutting through the darkness until, after some time, we pulled into a small dirt parking space hidden in the back of the cemetery.

An older, iron gate waited for us after climbing out of the truck. Covered in rust, partially obscured by overgrown ivy and weeds also tangled with an equally rusty chain and lock.

Nick stepped forward, nudging it for only a second when not only the lock and chain, but the whole metal gate came crashing down in front of us.

The three of us froze. The noise seemed to echo through the quiet cemetery, and for a moment, we all held our breath, waiting for someone to jump out and catch us.

After a few tense seconds, Cassandra nudged me forward. "Let's get moving before someone hears us."

Both of them stood behind, not as brave as they were on the drive up here. We slipped through the opening and walked along the narrow path, flanked by weathered tombstones and overgrown grass.

It didn't take long to figure out where I was and find my way back to the shack. The old door was shut with light emanating from the bottom, showing Carson was already inside.

I heard digital clicking noises from behind me as a bright screen flashed in my face.

Nick piped up, "Cass, turn that off!"

Cassandra smiled shyly, "Sorry, I should have muted my phone. I was texting him to make sure he's the one in there. Ya know, for safety."

He shook his head as he passed me to go for the door handle, "Well, whoever's in there definitely knows where out here now, so thanks."

Any fear of a stranger left after the door opened to reveal Detective Carson's hunched figure.

"Close the door behind you," he instructed, his voice low and raspy.

He leaned over Ben's coffee table, cigarette in hand, with several papers in front of him. He rummaged through them lazily, not paying any close attention to any of them.

"I brought these, but it doesn't really help tell the full story. Not that all of that can be covered tonight..." He trailed off at the end...

"Yeah, we have an hour. That's plenty of time." Cassandra zoomed in, interjecting.