The city with a million charms and culture

Wonosobo is a district in Central Java Province. The capital city is Wonosobo. The district is bordered by Temanggung and Magelang regencies in the east, Purworejo regencies in the south, Kebumen and Banjarnegara regencies in the west, and Batang and Kendal regencies in the north.

        Located in the heart of Central Java Province, Wonosobo is a district with beautiful mountain views because it is flanked by two young, still active mountains, namely Mount Sindoro and Mount Sumbing with a height of more than 3000 meters above sea level.

        Its strategic location and being in a mountainous area makes Wonosobo a district with enormous economic, tourism, and agricultural potential with fertile and well-maintained land.

        Complete tourism potential such as natural tourism, religion, culture, culinary, artificial tourism to special interest tourism, makes the nickname of a tourist city very attached to Wonosobo Regency which in 2014 was 189 years old.

        On the other hand, Wonosobo is also famous for its agricultural and plantation products. Starting from tea plantations that developed into Tambi Agrotourism, Arabica coffee typical of Wonosobo as well as various vegetables, fruits, spices and other horticultural products. From year to year production for domestic and foreign is always increasing.

         Wonosobo not only produces agricultural and plantation products, its processing industry is also developed with working partners both from the private sector and the Wonosobo community itself. As a result, there are many places for processing and small and medium-sized industries for agricultural and plantation products.

          What is special and different from the others, among others, the development of Carica the fruit of the gods (a type of papaya typical of the mountains) in the world only grows in 3 places; Indonesia (Dieng Mountains), Russia, and Argentina as well as the development of the Purwaceng plant for health drinks and Javanese herbal medicine. In the field of forestry, animal husbandry, and fisheries, the local government has also not escaped the attention.

        One of the customs from the city of Wonosobo that I really admire is Ruwatan dreadlocks is a ceremony for cutting (shaving) hair for dreadlocked children (gembel) carried out by people in the Dieng Plateau area (Dieng Plateau), Central Java.

        The ruwatan ritual which is held on the first of Suro according to the Javanese Calendar aims to clean or free dreadlocked children from sukerta/sesuker (bad luck, sadness, or disaster). Dieng.

         Over time, this unique ritual tradition was held as a cultural show. Later, the treatment of dreadlocks carried out en masse became an important part of the Dieng Culture Festival, which is held every year.

         It is said that dreadlocked children are descendants of Kiai Kolodete or Kanjeng Ratu Kidul's (Nyai Roro Kidul) deposit, which has become a hereditary myth in the life of the Dieng people. They also believe that dreadlocks should only be cut if the child in question has asked for it and it must be done through a ruwat or ruwatan ritual led by local traditional elders. Uniquely, this Ruwatan can only be done after the parent fulfills the "whatever" request made by the child.

       If the dreads are not cut through a sacred ritual, the dreads will grow back and the child is likely to be sickly.

      Together with this city I grew up to be a good person, teaching the customs that have become the pillars of this city's strength. I am proud to be born into a family that lives in this city.