Chapter 5 - Daily Life 2/3

It doesn't take long before their peace is disturbed once more, but this time it's not Monokuma popping up during breakfast that causes everyone's stress.

It's Youta who first wakes Juro up with a knock on the door while the sketch artist has just finished his morning routine, saying nothing more than "You need to see something."

Juro doesn't ask any questions, he just follows the natural healer as he opens the front door of the dormitory where most of the others have already gathered, and that's when things suddenly start to make sense.

Covering the bottom step of the stairs is a layer of water that stretches all the way back to the lake.

"A flood...?" Juro mutters.

"Seems like it." Youta says softly, looking over his shoulder to see Minoru arrives with Mai "We're all here now. That's good."

Mai rubs the sleep from her eyes, blinking as she looks out the door "Okay, who left the tap open?"

"Who else but Monokuma?" Kaori grits her teeth, gripping her arms while she crosses them.

"What? Can he control the weather now?"

"I thought he was a robot, not a wizard." Minoru leans against the wall, glancing outside.

"I d-didn't hear any rain last night." Chinami says, falling silent for a moment before she adds "Now that I think about it, I don't th-think it has ever rained here."

"Now that you mention it, you're right..." Youta looks at her "That's... weird. You'd expect more rain in this type of climate."

"Since when are you an environmental...?" Kaori trails off and facepalms "Fuck."

"It's okay." Youta adjust his mask while still looking ahead "You're right about Ishikawa-san having told me some things before... you know."

Mai gives them a weird look "You know, you two not being at each other's throat all the time is something I still gotta get used to."

Juro forces a chuckle "It's a bit weird, yeah, but it's good. Progress."

*Did anyone hear it rain last night though?* Ryoko signs a sentence, seemingly still having the previous topic on her mind.

Juro shakes his head, signing while speaking "I didn't. Though I'll admit I was out like a light."

"Don't ask me." Kaori holds up her hands.

"It didn't rain, at least not enough to cause this." Minoru mutters "I don't sleep too well still, so I would've noticed if it rained."

"Then it must've b-been Monokuma." Chinami bites her lip.

"Yeah. One way or another, he must've meddled with the water levels." Juro clenches a fist over his chest, gripping his shirt "I think this might be the next motive."

"Ding ding ding! Ten points to Sasaki Juro!" Monokuma beams, popping up.

"If it weren't for that fucking rule of yours I would've thrown you right into the water." Kaori hisses through gritted teeth.

*So this was his doing?* Ryoko asks Juro, to which he responds with a nod.

"So this is the next motive." Mai sighs "Yay."

"What's the catch this time?" Minoru crosses his arms "Other than you when Zayasu-san gets a chance to throw you."

Juro stiffles a laugh while Monokuma tries to glare Minoru down, which doesn't look very impressive when coming from a teddy bear "Keep your smartass remarks to yourself if you don't wanna end up like that annoying brat you liked hanging around."