Chapter 6 - Class Trial

CLASS TRIAL

ALL RISE!

"Let's go over the rules of the final class trial!"

Juro keeps his eyes focused on Monokuma for a moment as he goes over the new rules in a manner that the sketch artist has grown accustomed to. He can't bear to look at the latest addition among the portraits. The monochrome picture of Kaori stands tall among the others, with a pink plus marking her face instead of it simply being crossed out. It just feels like nothing but a mockery of her talent at this point.

"With the evidence you'll have to figure out who is the mastermind of this killing game, as well as the other mysteries! If you succeed and make the right choice, you'll all be free to leave the school trip." Monokuma snickers "However, if you come to the wrong conclusion, I will punish all remaining students. Good luck!"

With nothing but hatred in his eyes, Juro casts a glance at Monokuma from across the near-empty trial room. Sometimes the sketch artist forgets that he's capable of such anger, but Monokuma and the thought of someone working with him to do this to them is almost enough to blind him with rage.

He takes a breath to snap out of it. He can't allow anything to cloud his judgement. He needs to stay sharp and focus on the task at hand.

"This is very different from our previous trials. I'm not sure where to start..." Mai mutters, pushing a few strands of hair out of her face.

"Me neither." Chinami whispers.

"Hey, Monokuma, I have a question." Ryoko asks, glaring at the bear from the corners of her eyes before looking back at her screen to see his response.

"Sheesh, are you so stupid you already need a hint?" Monokuma scoffs "But fine, I'll give you a pass. Shoot."

"Since this place isn't real but in virtual reality, you must be an AI, correct?"

"That's correct. I'm a very well-crafted AI with an amazing personality!"

"The second part is up for debate..." Minoru mutters under his breath before asking "Yuuma-san, how do you think Monokuma's identity could be relevant here?"

Ryoko shrugs "I'm not sure yet. I just wanted a confirmation."

"I think it might be relevant to at least keep in mind." Juro sighs, fidgeting with his earring "I hate to say it, guys. But if Monokuma doesn't need to be controlled by an outside force, but can operate based on the personality the mastermind gave him, then the one behind the killing game could be in this very room."

"You mean to say it could be one of us?" Mai raises an eyebrow.

Juro nods "I'd like to believe none of you would do that... but I can't say for sure."

"But it c-could still be a third party as well." Chinami adds, to which Juro nods again.

"That's what I'm hoping for honestly." He sighs. He has learned to not hope for too much in this place.

"No, I think it's fair to doubt each other." Minoru says "That's what we've been doing all this time and even though I hate it every time, that's just the way it is."

"Doubting each other in regards to having committed murder because some sadistic teddy bear pressured you is a whole other ball park than suspecting people of having done the pressuring." Mai shrugs "But you're right to do so."

Truth bullet used:
The Killing School Life: The second mutual killing game that was played by class 78 of Hope's Peak Academy under the control of mastermind Enoshima Junko, who was aided by her twin Ikusaba Mukuro.