4| Their Teacher

October| Basketball Season

"Harlem, how do you expect to pass 9th grade with grades like this?" I asked Harlem as he cleaned his basketball shoes

" Ma, it's only first period. I can ask Mr. G for help. But it's the first game of the season and I really want to play. I promise I'll make it up to you later," he smiled. I couldn't resist his contagious smile.

" Alright Harlem. Have fun tonight, okay? I'll make it around the 3rd quarter." Amora came downstairs with her cheer bags.

" 3rd? Mr. G will be gone by the 2nd, so we gon have a different coach," he said as Amora picked out her afro.

" Mama, I need my hair done by next Thursday. We're going to cheer at a football game, and I want to look cute for the boys," she said making Harlem gag.

" I'll make it by the 3rd quarter, and I'll definitely be there the whole game for your next one. I promise." Sonali beeped her horn to signal that she was outside.

" Okay, ma. I love you," Harlem said.

" I love you, mama," Amora said while tying her cheer bow on her wrist.

" I love you, both." I handed them each a 20. " Here's for after the game for snacks."

" Thanks."

" Alright, Harlem you on PG

" Alright, Harlem you on PG. Jones on wing. Run the play," I ordered them as the timer buzzed for the 1st quarter.

The cheerleaders are supposed to come out for Halftime, so I wouldn't be able to see Amora cheer. I has an out of town teacher meeting to go to.

I try to avoid all of the gang shit, like selling and killing. I want my kids to be safe. So I focus my energy on my teaching job. It's kind of fun being a teacher.

"Alright, Halftime's over. I'll see y'all tomorrow. Make sure to wear y'all coats too. It's cold as hell outside," I said while handing my clipboard to 3three. He offered to coach them while I'm gone.

" Alright, Dad," Harlem said making me freeze.

" What you call me?" I asked him.

" Oh, I meant it cause you actin like our Daddy right now," he laughed awkwardly.

"Oh," I responded.

Amora came out with the cheer team. " Alright, Amora. I'm bout to go, I like your hair by the way. Stay safe on this cheer shit," I said while kissing her cheek. It may be weird from a different point of view, but she accepted it anyway.

" Goodbye, PapaBear," she said making me laugh.

" Byebye, Princess," I said while hugging her.

I walked out to my car, and saw another car pulling up. It was almost the 3rd quarter, so it's kind of late. I mind my business anyway.

The figure walked out, and they looked oddly familiar. They had on a mask, though.

We locked eyes for a spilt second, and they kept on to the gym.

Next day

" Okay, class wake up. I know it was the first game last night, but we have to get started for class," I said as half of the class was sleep.

" Coach G, I don't want to do this today," Harlem groaned. He has been failing my class and I do want to help him, but he has to want to help himself first. He's been getting caught up in basketball and girls. I wonder who he get that from.

" I don't care, Bubba. We got to start the day," I said making him look at Amora.

"What you just say?" He said.

" I said 'we have to start the day.'," I said.

" No, what did you just call me?" He said.

" Harlem there's no time for jokes. Open your books to page 32 and get with a partner," I said avoiding him. I slipped up. " Work pages 32- 35."

Amora and Harlem got together as I watched them closely. Harlem occasionally glanced at me, and mugged me.

The bell rung. " Okay, class dismissed. If you didn't finish those 4 pages, it's for homework," I said. Harlem angrily walked up to the desk making me look up from my workbook.

" I thought you had History next period?" I asked him.

" Why did you call me Bubba?" He asked while mugging me.

" I have no idea what you talking about, Harls. I think you hearing things," I laughed.

" Don't play dumb with me, Mr. Gaulden. I heard what I heard," he said while hopping on the desk.

" You betta watch ya mouth, slime. I'm still ya teacher," I said. I was starting to get irritated with him.

" You used to be a rapper, didn't you?" He asked making me kiss my teeth. " You're Nba YoungBoy. I heard your song on the radio."

" So what? I guess your math teacher used to be a rapper," I said.

" Who's Nolan? And who is Asteria?" He asked.

" Go to class, Harlem. I got to teach." He limped to the door.

" Don't put me on point guard no more, nigga," he said making me laugh.

• Who's POV do you want to see more?