6| Their Teacher

I got the brownies from the oven

I got the brownies from the oven. Harlem and Amora are cleaning their room as I cook them an afternoon snack.

I took some time off from work to be closer to my kids, cause Lord knows that's what I wanted Cynthia to do. I don't even know if she's my mother anymore, but I keep in touch with my father.

" Mr. G is outside," Harlem said as he fixed the dining room table.

" Alright, I'll go introduce myself," I mumbled to myself.

Amora opened the door to let him in.

" Hi, Mr. G. This is my mama Angel. Mama this is Mr. G," she said as my fell open.

" I'm Mr. Gaulden, but you can call me Mr. G," he smiled. " Nice to meet you, Angel."

" I'm Angel. Nice to meet you," I shook his hand.

" Why you so scared. Angel? I'm just here to tutor Harlem," he laughed as he walked to the dining table.

" I don't know what's wrong with her. She never acts like this," Harlem laughed.

" She probably shocked cause I'm so fine," Kentrell said as he popped a brownie in his mouth.

" Mr. G, you are delusional," Amora laughed as she pulled out her computer.

I stood there, shocked. Never in a million years will I ever think he would be in my house right now. Teaching my children. Sitting in my dining room. Out of prison.

" Well, Ms. Angel, I am their Math Honor's teacher, and I can tutor Harlem on Monday's, Wednesday's, and sometimes Friday's. How's that sound?" He asked while smiling devilishly.

" Mama, he's talking," Amora said snapping me out of my thoughts.

" That's alright, Mr. G. That sounds perfect to me," I said while walking back in the kitchen.

" Of course you know what perfect is, Angel," he said.

" Are you flirting with my mama, nigga?" Harlem playfully hopped on his back as Kentrell carried him around the house.

" Mama you know him or something?"
Amora said as she continued to click on the computer.

" A little," I laughed as I started dinner.

A few hours later, they finished their tutoring session.

"Thank you for having me in your home, Ms. Angel. I'll be glad to see you some more," he kissed my hand.

" Oh, thank you, Ken- Mr. G," I said as my voice cracked, making him laugh.

"You missed me, Angel?" He took me by the waist and whispered in my ear. " I missed you."

" Ewww, get a room," Amora said. " Stay for dinner, Mr. G. Pleaseee."

" If that's alright with your lovely mother, I'll be glad to stay for dinner," he smiled from ear to ear.

" That's fine with me," I said. " I'm cooking some Mac and cheese with fried chicken."

" Sounds good," he smacked my ass making a sharp pain shoot through my body.

" Alright," I said.

" Ma, this was good," Harlem said as he finished up his food. " I'm sleepy now."

" You been like that since you were a baby, Bubba. Talk a lot of shit, eat, then sleep," I laughed.

"Whatever ma. I'm still cute," he said while picking up our dishes.

" Mr. G, what were you before you was a teacher?" Amora asked.

" Ask Harlem." He laughed.

" Mr. G., was a rapper, Toota. He had a girlfriend name Asteria. He rapped about her a lot. But that was like a decade ago," Harlem said from the kitchen.

" You used to listen to rap, Mama?" Amora yawned.

" Yeah, Mr. G. was actually my favorite rapper," I said.

" That's cool, Mama. But I'm sleepy. I'll take a bath in the morning," she walked upstairs and Harlem followed.

" Goodnight Ma. See you tomorrow, Mr. G," Harlem said.

" Wow, Angel. You still look good," Kentrell said while getting up from his seat.

" Yeah. It's impressive how no matter where I go, you are there." I got up from my seat to let him out.

" Thank you for tutoring my son, but you have to go," I opened the door.

"You think we done, Angel? It ain't over till I saw we done," he whispered in my ear, making me squirm under his cold touch.

" Look, I need you to go, Kenny. I'll see you later," I said.

"It was nice to see you again, Asteria," he said.

" I go by Angel now, Kenny," I said making him smile.

" Make sure my Bubba and my Toota is sleeping well. See you later, Angel." He walked back to his car.

" See you later, Kenny," I let out a deep breath.