Chapter 11

I stared, open mouthed as he offered for me to ride is fire horse. I am of water, him of fire. We are naturally meant to stay away, yet I found myself putting my hand in his as he helped me up. In the saddle, my bottom was warm, along with my legs, and I found myself unconciously reaching out to stroke the fire steed's mane.

It was like a gentle flicking fire that didn't burn me but felt almost as if it would.

"Move up a bit," the boy said, and I did, moving up so that he could sit behind me. Wait, behind me? Before I could protest, he flew into the saddle and held the reigns.

"Hold on to her saddle, she likes to go a little fast," he spoke into my ear as he began to lead the steed through the trees that were further apart than before. My fingers turned white, gripping the saddle, the boy's arms around me so he could lead the horse like creature.

A beautiful field was before us, its expanse great. I had a moment to take it in before the steed tore across the land as fast as it could. My hands held on for dear life as the steed took me impossibly fast.

It was almost as if the steed were flying above the grass on wings of fire. It was then that I noticed that she was flying. On wings of pure flame. Above the grassy landscape. I gasped and opened my mouth to scream but a strong arm wrapped around my waist, my screams silent.

"It's okay. All steeds can do this. Have you ever seen one?" I nodded, not looking back at him and I thought of Aberdeen and how he seemed to fly in the water down to this world thrown back in time.

"Well. Most steeds keep their wings to themselves except infront of their lord or lady they are bound to." I didn't know this, and I made a mental note to ask Aberdeen about his wings.

"I have only seen a few but they were very intimidating. So I didn't near them," I said, lying to keep myself and my followers safe. He merely nodded and tugged on the reigns a bit and turned us around for more space.

"So all houses have steeds that have wings?" He looked at me as if I had punched him.

"Yes. The three houses of Arina all have steeds, though as you have guessed, the Fiers are the largest and in power." I let this information sink in. The three houses? I was sure there was four. Fiers for fire. Liquis for water. The other two houses, which haven't been mentioned yet, of earth and air.

"Which houses do you speak of? I was told there are four houses," I couldn't help but blurt out. I turned and looked back at him, worried that I may have given something away. A small grimice plastered his face as his eyes look downcast, his steed's flight shifting a bit.

"There were four. There are three now." It was now my turn to frown.

"Earth, air, fire, and water. Which one has fallen?" I asked, almost already knowing my answer. And I knew I wouldn't like what I'd hear.

"Water."