Chapter 30

Sylvia accompanied us this time, riding behind Curtis as Arlo rode with Clarence on their own horse. Clarence had protested that he be included in coming along so that he can keep a close eye on me so that I did not get harmed anymore.

Aberdeen had told me as they had brought out the horses that the newest one was a stallion named Markarth who was father to Jesabelle's young colt. So as even Aberdeen, who had no saddle or bridle on him at all, trotted along, I fought to contain the pain that was building up in my shoulder as we rode through the forest and towards the meadow where I can fly freely with my steed.

We are almost there. The flight will help to heal the wound but it may not heal everything. There may be scaring and a bit of discomfort that comes along with the healing process but I imagine that it will feel much better afterwards. I kept my fingers in his mane while my wounded arm had been put into a sling to keep the muscles from stretching and hurting me further.

As we reached the edge of the meadow, I motioned for the others to stop and tugged just the slightest bit to tell Aberdeen to halt as well. Curtis dismounted Jesabelle and came to my side to listen to what I had to say.

"Stay at the edge of the meadow while I ride. If anyone happens to approach nearby, you will have the ground advantage and be able to aid me quicker. Just whatever you do, do not stop me in the middle of the ride." They all nodded to me, even the steeds lowering their heads for a brief bow. When Curtis took my free hand into his own, he gave me a lopsided smile. In his eye, the other scared one looking about as beautiful as my shoulder, was a glint of something I couldn't place. Just that since I didn't object to him coming along, he has shown more softness and kindness than I had expected.

"Get better soon my lady." I frowned at him, the male knowing I didn't like that term for me. He chuckled before giving my hand a small peck.

"Arina." He backed away and patted Aberdeen's hide to give him the go-ahead. My steed lurched forward, not expecting the gesture and trotted lightly into the open grassy plain. All around us, the grass flowed like waves of water in the ocean that I so dearly miss. I didn't want to fly here in the open.

I wanted to fly in the sea where I belong.

We cannot draw too much attention to ourselves if we keep going through the water cave. At least here, we don't have to hold back too awful bad because of the fact that the houses are known for flying whenever they like around the kingdom. So seeing a bright light might not cause too much of a fuss. I patted his side and grasped his mane again, worrying that maybe this was causing him just as much stress as it was me.

"I'm sorry Aberdeen. I cannot imagine how much you have been through while I was in the city. I saved people though. The man that would have been killed being mistaken as the Blue Cyclone or the girls who have been mistaken as Arina de Liquis. Everyone is being punished and put against me. The people are believing that I am what is bringing them harm when the true tyrant is the King." I reached deep within myself and found that little feeling that always activated Aberdeen's wings.

As if on cue, water from the air and plants flowed to us and swirled around us like butterflies to a bed of flowers. My hair began to glow a bright sun-kissed color and blended into my skin that began to flow with a mystical essence that made it look like my blood may have been born of sunshine. Aberdeen's wings formed once more with an eerie accuracy that only other worldly beings could possess.

"Aberdeen, I wish you could have been by my side all this time. You are the only constant I have felt and know that will always be by my side. Even if I were to perish, I have this feeling that you would live on." His massive wings opened up into a bright and shining display that caused those of my companions to shield their eyes.