Chapter 20

The murderer who had slaughtered my parents stood just a few hundred feet away from me, his face covered by a bit of facial hair and a bit of long hair draping into his eyes. Black waves rippled down and back into a secure golden band that showed that he was well taken care of. His tunic was more of layers of robes that cascaded down his body and to the floor as if he were a ripple of fire. He displayed power and emanated strength.

Both of which were quite absent in his son.

Darren looked tense and regal as he focused on everyone and no one. When he passed over me, he held the spot for a brief moment before passing along the crowd more.

"Welcome to my son's birthday gala. We are both grateful for your attendance and wish you merriment and joy. Once again," he raised his hand towards the great chandelier above the crowd, "Welcome." And with that, flames of orange shot from his fingers to the golden decoration and it lit up the room as cheers erupted around us.

I slowly clapped my hands at the display and felt my mind begin to wonder. Could I manipulate water if the Fiers could fire?

I felt myself being ushered back to our corner and the room resumed with a louder clamour than before. More people were dancing, finally finding their feet after seeing the Fiers. The orchestra started up with a grand piece that screamed, I am the attention and I demand yours. Even the people who had stood at the very bottom of the stairs were currently standing there still, waiting for the two sparks of flame descending the stairs to get to them.

"They are wolves my lady. Wolves of court. They sniff out those with the most power and lick their boots to get what they want, weather it be a place on the council or a crest. Anything to get higher." Curtis sounded like he spat the words more than spoke them and I had noticed that quite a few girls were looking in Francis's direction. When I looked at his face, longing was replaced with the stoic expression I had seen earlier.

With what energy I had in my arms, I reached behind Francis and pushed him towards the awaiting ladies.

"Go have fun Francis. The ladies need you," I said with a little grin hidden by my fan. Francis seemed to think about it before he looked behind me to Curtis. Something passed between them before Francis nodded and smiled.

"Thank you," he whispered and strode off towards the ladies that began to purr his name over and over.

"Is he well known among the ladies, Curtis?" I looked back at the other and he nodded, almost rolling his eyes at the other's display. It was easier to breathe when distracted.

"Why don't you go dance too? I see some women looking you over as well." It was true but even though Francis listened to me, it was only because he had known that Curtis was there to watch over me.

"No my lady Arina, I will stay by your side for the remainder of the evening. I will be your shadow." I set my free hand on his arm and looked into his deep eyes, trying to find anything I could use to get him to lighten up. All I found was determination and stone. He wasn't going to budge.

"Then will you get me a drink? I will stay right here until you get back and won't talk to a single soul." This seemed to spark something in him because he grinned.

"You really want to get rid of me don't you?" I dropped my hand and flutted my fan as if I were as innocent as everyone believed I was.

"Would I do that?" I asked in a higher and more playful voice. We chuckled for a moment before Curtis slipped into his role of servant once more.

"What would you like? They have wine, water, other juices... anything you want I will acquire it for you." He had me at wine. I had never drank because the legal age on the surface to drink was twenty-one. I'm still seventeen for goodness sakes.