Bear Witness

*** intensely graphic content — heavy trigger warning *** ————————————————————————

————————————————————————

"As we suspected, Mr. Tyson's attorney requested an expedited trial, and their motion was granted. He agreed to no pre-trial hearings as a result, so that's good for us. But also not great.. but it's okay."

"Yeah... I figured as much." Maddy swallowed hard.

"It's the end of September, the 27th, so in about two and a half weeks. Do you have any questions?"

"Oh yeah.. plenty..." Maddy chuckled nervously.

"Go ahead.." Peter Hernandez smiled reassuringly.

Maddy gulped, and began to go over her list of questions. "Okay, Peter.. so I know I'll get destroyed on cross.."

"It might not be as bad as you think..."

"Peter.. you don't have to protect me, I'm okay. I know what he's gonna say. I went into his house, didn't pull away when he.. kissed me. I know that's gonna kick me in the ass..."

"Well.. yes." The Assistant District Attorney swallowed with a hesitant chuckle.

"Told you." Maddy laughed. "Anyway, at what point can you object? Aside from the obvious.. him not actually asking questions, or getting off track?"

"If he starts harassing you. Which is up to me to determine.. but I promise you, it will not get that far.. I promise."

Maddy smiled at Peter. His eyes matching hers, the smell of his musk hitting Maddy's nose with a pleasantness. She asked Peter the rest of her questions, and he answered every single one with expert empathy.

"Alright Peter.. thanks. I think I'm good for now."

"You sure?"

"Yeah.. for now. Thanks again."

"Okay, I'll be in touch."

"Sounds good." Maddy said as she finally left his office, headed for the elevator.
————————————————————————
"Thanks for volunteering to stay with me guys, but I'm literally fine.. he won't come attack me. He's under house arrest, or in lockup till trial.. I forget which one though, I'm tired." Maddy laughed as she sat on the couch next to TK and Carlos.

"It just.. makes us feel better."

"I do appreciate it, guys. I do. The trial is two weeks from now though.. are y'all gonna alternate your time here that whole time?"