Chapter 16

Previously on: Out of Time

"What happened?" Evie asked, crossing her arms.

"Celia and Dizzy... They were worried and curious about what was happening. They said they were going to leave with or without us... And I panicked," Arianna looked down at her hands. "Squeaky and Squirmy wanted to stay behind, and I didn't want to leave them alone, but- Celia and Dizzy- S-so we came and hid..."

Evie sighed. "Celia is a bit of a troublemaker, but I thought Dizzy was more of a voice of reason..."

"I am so sorry, Evie," Arianna looked up.

"Those two can be a bit to handle, but you couldn't stop them from leaving?" Evie questioned. Arianna shook her head.

"Celia threatened to use her magic," she said. Evie furrowed her brow. That didn't sound like something Celia would do...

***

"There's been a malfunction," Hephaestus explained as the rest of the group arrived at the front of the sub. "We need to get off this submarine NOW!"

"Why? What's happening?" Audrey yelped.

Hephaestus continued to press buttons and flip switches. "The submarine is going to explode. Get to the escape pod now!"

***

Evie hesitated before running off with the others. Uma looked back at Hephaestus.

"What about you?" She asked the god. He glanced at her.

"I'm going to hold the ship together as long as I can," he told her. He looked back at the screen. "This doesn't make any sense..."

"What is it?"

"The only reason this submarine would explode would be because someone messed with the engine," he explained, looking at her with concern. Uma furrowed her brow.

Someone was trying to kill them and stop them from reaching the Sea Stone. But who?

***

"Wait, where's Hephaestus," Dionysus asked quietly. He seemed to be dreading the answer.

Uma refused to look at anyone. Tears threatened to come out as she pressed the escape button. The pod zoomed off from the submarine, headed towards shore.

The submarine exploded.

***

Uma emerged from the water and climbed onto the shore. She kicked the sand in frustration.

"Did you find him?" Dionysus asked.

"Does it look like I found him?" Uma snapped.

"He has to be in there somewhere," Ares gestured to the ocean. "Trust me, Heph has been through worse things than a submarine explosion."