Chapter 21

A sinister cackle was heard as a new being stepped up from the cracks. Mal felt shivers down her spine as she realized their mistake.

They had been so busy looking for something to defeat Kronos, they hadn't realized what his plan was.

He was going to take over everything, one realm at a time. First the Underworld, then the Mortal Realm, and then Olympus.

So now, as she looked at the Titan who held up a glowing red scythe with a cursed blade, Mal realized that this battle that shouldn't have happened was inevitable.

Kronos was here. They were out of time.

***

What else could one do but stand and watch as all hell broke loose?

There was no time to agree on a plan. There was no time to retrieve any weapons. They would have to use what they had...

Mal stared off into the distance, her father's ember glowing brightly in her hand. Now, who would attack first? The daimons and soldiers stayed put, for now.

"Goodbye!" Dave squeaked and started to fly away. Genie grabbed his talons and pulled him back down.

"You've come this far, Dave, there's no turning back now," Genie shook his head while Dave whimpered.

Time, ironically, felt as though it had stopped. Mal wondered if that was Kronos' doing or if her nerves made her surroundings seem frozen in scenes of horror.

The red sky and sea made it seem as if Kronos was already in reign- like he had already won.

Mal watched as her best friend hugged Doug and sent him and the kids to the castle. They had all collectively agreed that the stowaways, and those who were injured, needed to stay inside during whatever events were to come. The castle, though half-covered in thorns, was the safest place to be.

Doug had protested at first but agreed after Evie pleaded with him. They hugged each other tightly, holding each other as though they were saying goodbye. After letting go, Evie turned, unable to watch her true love walk away with an uncertainty of what was to come.

Mal met her friend's eyes and Evie nodded to her. They didn't need to say words to understand what the other wanted to say- they would fight to whatever end came, together.

The fairy looked over to Poseidon muttering something to Hermes.

"What's going on?" she spoke up. Poseidon glanced at her nervously.

"He's telling me to keep a lookout for your father," Hermes answered, causing Maleficent to look over at them. "And Athena. If I spot them, if Kronos is using them for battle, I'll try to retrieve them and bring them back."

"We'll need backup as well, Hermes," Zeus scratched his beard. Hermes nodded.

"Getting back up, whoever that may be, and grabbing the kidnapped deities is great and all," Uma stepped up, "but what's our plan."

"Fight and win," Ares grunted, scanning the Underworld army for his sister.

"Oh yeah, a great plan," Uma softly scoffed as Harry rested a hand on her shoulder. "Let's win this thing, then."

Ben squeezed Mal's hand. "And we are going to win. Good always prevails."

Mal looked at him and gave him a small smile.

I love you, she mouthed. Ben mouthed the same words back and kissed her hand.

"Are you going to give some big motivational kingly speech?" Lonnie teased and Jay laughed along.