23: Breathe

There's no chance to retreat now, I thought to myself as the door of Dad's office in the manor entered my line of sight.

Everen was still at school finishing up some report due tomorrow, and after much convincing, Cali went to the airport with my promise to follow her within the hour.

Honest to gods, I had no idea if I'd even be allowed to leave after what I was about to do.

I knew he hated the impolite gesture, but I didn't bother to knock and just barged in. "Dad," I called the busy man who was caught off guard with my sudden presence. I didn't call to schedule this meeting, and I was supposed to return to the airport after my date with Selena, so he didn't show it with that stoic face of his, but Dad dropped his pen upon hearing me and it rolled on the table.

"Evadne? Your shift isn't over yet."

I groaned. "I know. I'll go back there after you hear me out."

He responded with silence, a sign that he was already disapproving of this meeting, but I refused to deal with it right now. "I'm here to ask for your permission."

At that, a subtle frown grazed his features. "It is part of our agreement that you don't need my permission for every circumstance mentioned in the contract. Do you want me to recite them for you?"

"No need for that," I replied, wincing. Damn that photographic memory of his. "This request isn't stated in the contract."

"Then the meeting is adjourned."

"No, it isn't."

Dad's hand that went to grab the pen stilled, and his gaze fleeted to me. "Excuse me?"

"My first flight tomorrow is headed to the Philippines," I began, deciding at the last second to not tell him to hear me out because he'd just order me to leave the room. "I'd like to ask if it's fine for me to stay there for a week. I can have my co-pilot fly the plane back to San Francisco."

Of course he'd respond with another wave of silence. Right. I'd expected that already. I'd come up with a dozen scenarios on how this meeting would end, actually, but I made no promise of being ready for anything.

"You aren't allowed to run away, Evadne."

"And I have no plan on doing that." I mustered the courage to take three steps closer to where he sat until my hands rested on his table. "I just need to...to take a break from work." Lies.

"I give you enough breaks. Your last paid leave was two days ago." He was calling on my bluff, and I was close to cracking open. I knew I should just be honest and say it without beating around the bush, but fear was beginning to win me over. Still, I could see Dad waiting for me to say something, and the conversation would be over if I chose to not utter anything.

"Tell me the truth," he ordered. "We don't have all night."

"I need to breathe. Everyday my mind is hardwired for flights, business matters, and those 43 dates you arranged. I bet you stopped counting because you'd be reminded of how ridiculous it is. Those paid leaves never help because I am obliged to answer every one of your calls. I can't rest. I can't breathe, Dad." I bit my lip at the confession. "There. Happy?"

Obviously, he was anything but happy. Dad's fists clenched and relaxed when he noticed me staring, and he searched for the words to say—possibly an attempt to try and change my mind, but he was already aware that my request was final. I had played the right cards with my bad hand. I wasn't allowed to run away so I'd asked for a short break instead. He knew I was treating this like any other paid leave, but I wanted to be in the country he pulled several strings to avoid.

"Are you coming back to him?"

"I..."

"I want the truth," he said before I could think of an excuse.

"No." I took a moment to breathe deep. "No, I'm not. We've lost contact when he left, but..."

He raised a brow. "But?"

"But I don't know what to expect," I admitted, wincing at how ludicrous it sounded, even to me. "I need more time to accept things."

"That is not an acceptable answer."

"Then what is?" another voice asked, joining in the tense conversation. From here I turned my head and found Mom standing by the doorway, holding a tray of fruits. "Sorry for interrupting the meeting, but why are you interrogating my eldest, Ellis?"

"Everlin," he called, standing up in surprise. He fixed his glasses and waited for Mom to approach, but she didn't leave her spot.

"I thought I should bring you food since you didn't join me for dinner. What is happening right now?"

"Evadne wants to spend a week in the Philippines," he said, massaging his temples at the mention of his damn homeland. "She's insisting I allow her to go there."

"And what's your point? Why decline the request?"

"She might meet that Vitali boy—"

"Oh, please," Mom cut off, scoffing. "They're not kids, Ellis, and your daughter is not stupid."

"But she—"

"I didn't speak so you can question me." Raising a brow, Mom put the tray down on a nearby cabinet and took a step back. "I'm sure Evadne is intelligent enough to not defy any of the terms in your contract. Have some faith in your heiress." Our eyes met briefly, and before I could say anything, Mom left us alone, her heels clicking against the marble floor.

Maybe it was the gods' way of messing with our picture-perfect family, but the thought of the ever so tyrant President Ellis Alonzo's authority being as good as dead to Everlin Marcello-Alonzo had a weird, humorous ring to it that the weight of this meeting eased off my shoulders as I entertained the thought.

He really loved her. I could see it with the way he appeared troubled right now and he couldn't bother to hide this rare moment of vulnerability. Disappointing my mother was the last thing he wanted to do, all because he couldn't spell the right words to her. Hell, he would catch a grenade for Mom if it meant not having to verbally admit that he loved her deeply.

"Are you sure of what you want, Evadne?" he asked, eyes landing on anything but mine. "Will you still be willing to return if I give you my permission to go?"

I nodded with eagerness, and I was finally able to exhale the tension away. "Yes. I promise to return."

Even if I still missed him.

Even if I still loved Aelius Vitali—the blissful memories, the pain he caused, the necklace he once put around my neck with the promise he failed to keep. I would return to this place even if I still loved and yearned for everything about him.