1. Bring Him Home

Author's note: This book is inspired by some comments that members of Home Free have made in live concerts, interviews, behind the scenes videos, etc. mixed with a whole lot of "But what if they weren't straight?"

I have no insider knowledge on the sexual orientations or practices of any member of Home Free beyond that all five current members are involved in relationships with members of the opposite sex.

While the timeline in this story roughly corresponds to actual events, it isn't precise and includes many completely fictional occurrences. The characters mentioned beyond the band & their crew are fictional and not intended to represent any real people.

***

"There's a guy in my group and he's... excitable," the ship-board entertainer had warned them. "He's harmless, and he means well, and he's a die-hard a cappella fan. I'm sorry."

Tim smiled as he recalled the warning from earlier in the day, watching the cruise's theater company, shaking his head.

"The boy's got some pipes," Matt murmured quietly.

"... Bring him hoooome...!" the young man on stage finished.

The five men joined the audience applause, Rob briefly standing before realizing only a handful of people were doing so.

"Anyone else want something from the bar?" he asked, covering for himself.

"I'm good," Chris said.

Adam shook his head.

"Another scotch," Matt said.

Tim held up his nearly empty beer bottle. "Same."

Rob nodded and headed for the bar. They all fell silent as the next part of the show started.

***

"If only we could get him to replace Matt," Adam said as the crowd was dispersing. "I... I mean after..."

Matt waved off the explanation. "We know what you mean." He'd already been discussing leaving the group. He and his wife wanted a family, and their 200+ days on the road touring schedule wasn't a good fit for that.

"There's no way we can compete with the pay and benefits he's getting here," Chris said.

Their concerts provided a decent living for them all, but it was hardly a life of luxury. Adam and his wife Ericha were living in a poorly insulated mobile home where frost would creep up the inside of the door during the colder winter days. Chris was living in an apartment not much bigger than a shoe box. Rob and his girlfriend Kelsey were living in a duplex next to a couple who worked odd shifts and liked to argue a lot in their off hours. Tim was currently couch surfing at various friends' places when they weren't on the road, since he was home so little anyway.

"Hey, are y'all that a cappella group, Born Free?"

"Home Free," Chris corrected, extending a hand to the subject of their discussions, a baby-faced tenor who had just stopped at their table. "I'm Chris Rupp."

"Austin," the tenor answered. "Austin Brown. I'm with the ship-board company."

"We saw you. You were really good," Rob responded, offering a handshake. "Rob Lundquist."

'Really good' didn't really cover how blown away they had been by the talent they'd seen.

"Adam Rupp. I'm Chris's brother. And the beatboxer."

Austin's eyes slid down Adam's athletic frame and then back up to his face, a flirty smile coming to his lips as he took Adam's hand. "Good to meet you."

Adam's cheeks reddened and he looked down in embarrassment. "Yeah."

"I'm Matt Atwood."

Austin nodded, shaking Matt's hand, then turned to the last member of the group.

"Tim Foust," he said in a deep voice that sent shivers down Austin's spine.

"The bass, I take it," Austin said, shaking hands while his eyes lingered on Tim's.

"Usually," Tim answered, then realized their hands were still clasped and let go. "We really enjoyed the show."

"Awesome," Austin answered. "I'm planning on catching yours tomorrow. I'm so excited. I just love a cappella music."

"Hey, Austin, you coming?" one of his castmates called.

"Be right there!" he answered, then turned back to them. "I'll see you tomorrow. Maybe we could hang out afterwards, get a few beers?"

"Sounds like a plan," Tim said.

"It's a date then. See ya!"

The five men watched as the tenor practically danced to meet his castmates, shooting them with finger guns before disappearing through the doorway.

"Wow. He has a lot of energy after the show they just put on," Rob commented.

"Oh to be so young," Chris said in mocking mournfulness.

"Ah, come on. He's not that much younger than we are," Matt responded. "I don't think."

"Hard to tell," Tim answered, thoughtfully looking down at his hand. Had he imagined it or had the tenor been flirting with him, just a little bit?

"We should hit the hay," Chris interrupted his thoughts. "We've got an early sound check."

They all gathered up their things and headed off to their cabins. Adam and Chris were sharing one, Matt and Rob another right next door. Tim had ended up with an odd-shaped, rather tiny single a couple doors down from the rest of the group. Tim said goodnight to the others and slipped into his cabin. He flopped down on the bed and kicked off his boots, then sat for a moment, contemplating his hand. He knew it was just his imagination, but he could swear he could still feel the warmth of the other man's hand in his.

He shook his head, and got up to get ready for bed. It was a two week cruise. It wasn't like anything was going to become of it anyway.