The big white

Shortly after resuming our journey,  we were forced to face the worst winter I had ever seen. Luckily or us, it would save us a month of travel. The Lopand river, the biggest permanent river ever recorded, was frozen. This way, we could cross it.
An old man by the bank of the ice road shouted over the deafening noise of the blizzard:

-You might want to stay for the night, friends!

Reliquitur was trembling really bad, and Lieutenant-who was now within my torax, perks of not having flesh- was really cold.

We entered his hut, a small wooden circle in which three cups of steaming hot soup were waiting for us.

-Drink, travelers. You can stay the night if you feel like doing so, too. This is one hell of a blizzard.

He scrached his long beard and drank from his cup. Reliquitur, almost automatically, thanked him for me.

-No need to-the man said, with a smile through which I could see the few teeth he had left. I don't want anyone to get lost in this weather... People who do, don't usually come back.

Lieutenant was already out of me, and sleeping besides the chimeney. The whole place, with its wooden carvings of fish everywhere, drawings of merchant ships in the harbors and pieces of taxidermy seemed just so cozy. Reliquitur, who had started a conversation with our host about fishing baits. Soon, they were arguing on wether flies or mosquitoes were better bait like old friends.
I moved to a corner, sat and rested for a bit. Not that much of "a bit", though, since Reliquitur woke me up in what felt like two seconds.

-Master, the storm has stopped-he said-. We can continue now.

Profusely thanking our host for that night, we started walking through the frozen river.
Lieutenant, in my chest again, fell asleep as soon as the freezing winter air entered through my armor. the moon, about to stop being visible, shone like a silver platter within the vast pitch-black nothingness above our heads.
By midday, we could already see the other shore. Things were going wonderful, for a second, even the sun seemed to heat more.

This way, we got to cross the river with less than a few minor issues. It was definitely thanks to that old man, though. The gods know where would we be if we had crossed during the storm, or if we'd gone to the bridge.
Another night sleeping over firm soil, I guess. Now we are only a few days from our destination.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Uh, it's me. Your favourite author, you know. That wattpad  dude who writes about a skeleton and a cat. I am sorry for having to delay another chapter. I hope you enjoy this brief piece while I plan the last chapters (that's it,  the story's done!) I might be trying my luck this summer as a comic artist, I'll keep you informed. You already know my twitter, so now I leave you here my recently-created instagram account:

https://www.instagram.com/geklelo_the_artist/

Please follow and support this century's best artist (since Carlos Ruiz Zafón died last year).

Thanks for reading!