Chapter 7 - David

"So how's it feel to be out of the infirmary?" Edith asked at dinner. David had literally been released an hour ago.

"Good. How long have I been here?"

"Three days." Edith said sipping a green drink. Her dark tresses in elaborate braids. "You can go home. If you want."

David was taken aback by the sudden subject change. "Oh yeah, I know."

"You can go home," Edith said again. "And come back whenever you want." She added quickly.

David nodded. "I think I'll go back, and I'll visit soon," he said thoughtfully. "Now, if that's not too much trouble."

"Oh its, its fine. I can have a guard escort you."

"No, I can swim back." He said quickly.

Edith gave a small nod, and stared down at her plate of steamed kelp.

"Well thanks," David said awkwardly. And then he left.

|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

David finally broke the surface at dawn, and even though he should've felt exhausted, he felt energized. Seeing the sky again was a treasure. As he hoisted himself up onto the docks, he admired the beautiful turquoise sea and the orange sky. The rich reds and oranges made him of his deadly encounters with Artemis. And the sea made him think of Edith, and he already missed her and her beauty.

He laid himself down on the dock, and stared at the beautiful sky, and inhaled the sea air, and the sound of waves crashing. And finally, he allowed himself to feel the hurt.

Edith had basically threw him out of the fantastic world, and as much hell he had indured he wanted to still be there. He wanted to get to know her for more than her beauty. He wanted to examine the tapestries, and maybe even learn more about the apparently real gods.

And as he thought about it more, he started to think about Edith more. And then finally, fatigue washed over him like the ocean, and he fell asleep.