Edith

"She's back!" People shouted gleefully.
That's what Edith had awoken too that morning. And suddenly, her world wasn't so gray. David was gone, and had left a hole but Artemis wasn't lost.
"M'lady. She's returned, Artemis!" A messenger said eagerly. Somewhere in his eyes, relief was evident.
"Where is she?" Edith asked without hesitation, her hands gripping the scrawny boys shoulders.
"The temple. She hasn't spoken, but she's there!"
Edith nodded curtly, and swam away. Her tail propelling her at high speeds. Her world no longer so bleak. If only David would return...
"No," she muttered to herself. "Dont push it."
Edith told herself that she was lucky enough to have her friend back. To hope for David back was selfish of her.
When she arrived at the temple, she heard quiet. Then she heard the breaking of stone.
Edith swam into the main alter and stopped.
There Artemis was. Her hair flying, and her arms bring down a heavy bronze cavalary sword. She brought it down onto her father's giant statue, cracking the base, and slashing and his face up above.
"How dare you! You didn't protect me! Lady Artemis didn't protect me! You both allowed me to die!" She screeched. Her scarlet tail a blur. "The Sun God! He was my saviour! I have devoted my life to her. I've devoted my life to being the proud daughter of Poseidon! And you allowed me to die!"
"Artemis! What is the meaning of this? Do you want the gods to punish you?" Edith screamed in shock.
Artemis turned around sharply, and flung the sword toward Edith. The swords blade sailing past her, a lock of hair falling to the ground.
Angrily, Edith swam towards Artemis and grabbed her by the throat, slamming her head against the statue.
"You've been gone for months! I've been worried sick, thinking you died. And instead of coming to me and easing me of my worry, you destroy a sacred alter?" Edith screeched.
"Swallow a clam. They let me die." Artemis spit, pressing her palms into Edith's shoulders. "Release me."
"No. Explain yourself!" She insisted. Suddenly her worry and sorrow replaced with a rage that could match Artemis'.
"I went to save a student. I was impaled. I nearly died, two gods failed to save me and Apollo nursed me in the Mediterranean. For the last month, I've been traveling back. Forgive me if I'm in a vengeful mood." Artemis shot haughtily. "Now release me."
"They just let you die?" Edith said stunned. "Even though you devote your life to them?"
"Exactly. Now I have nothing left to live for," she replied wearily. "Now allow me to continue."
Edith stared at her friend in disbelief. Suddenly she noticed the scars on her face. Her collarbone marked with a deep scar. Her face deeply hallowed from hunger. Heavy bags hung from her eyes. Even her hair was shaggy and matted.
"You have the kids and I. Forget the gods." Edith said cooly, embracing her friend. Her anger ebbing away.