15 and 16 (I)

Sally blocks Wilbur's sword with the borrowed one in her hand, putting all her strength into pushing him back. When she successfully manages to have him stumble backwards, she quickly takes advantage of his dazed state and disarms him, his sword clattering to the ground. With a frustrated growl, Wilbur snatches his sword back up as Sally grins at him in victory.

"Again," he scowls, annoyed by her being better than him.

"Seriously?" Tommy says from where he's seated on the ground, throwing his hands up in annoyance. "We're supposed to be sparring against each other, Wilbur. You've done three rounds already, you're not gonna win against her."

"You should listen to your brother, Wil," Sally says airily, swaying her sword casually. "Just accept that you'll never be as good as me," she smirks, knowing exactly how to rile him up.

Instead of responding, Wilbur brings his sword down on Sally with a loud cry in hopes of startling her, but she easily blocks his attack, swords clashing with the spectacular clatter of metal hitting metal. She tries to disarm Wilbur once again, but Wilbur sees it coming and retracts his sword with a step to the side, surprising her for once. In the milliseconds that it takes for Sally to calculate her next move, Wilbur attacks once again, and Sally blocks him at the very last second, swiftly hitting him in the chest with the butt of her sword and knocking the air out of him, then she kicks his legs out from underneath him, forcing him to land flat on the grass. She quickly brings her sword to his throat before he can get back up.

"Do you yield?" she grins down at him, both of them sweaty and panting under the harsh summer sun.

Wilbur scowls at her, and she presses the sword down ever so slightly. "I said, do you yield?"

"I yield," Wilbur spits, face red.

"Now say I'm better than you," Sally continues to push him.

"I'm better than you," Wilbur smirks.

"Don't act smart," she warns with a raised eyebrow, putting more pressure on his throat as Wilbur grins.

"If you two are done flirting, I'd like to practice my sparring as well," Tommy interrupts their staring contest.

With an eye roll, Sally gets off of Wilbur, who rubs his throat as he stands up.

"Don't be dramatic," she tells him as she hands the sword to Tommy.

"You had a sword to my throat, Sal," Wilbur says in disbelief.

"I did, didn't I?" she winks at him cheekily, grinning.

"Doing good out there?" Sally father asks, bringing in a basket full of saplings.

"I'm beatin' his arse, baba," Sally calls out to him proudly.

"Sally!" her father scolds as a mild warning.

"What?" she scoffs. "It's true," she walks over to her father, starting to help him planting the tiny trees.

"It is, unfortunately, true, Mr. Salmon," Wilbur says, a little ashamed. He'd always been respectful to her father, something that only made Sally love him more. "You've taught her well, sir."

Sally's father, William, /had taught her well, training her to sword fight since she was big enough to hold a decent-sized wooden stick, a family tradition. Her dad came from a noble family, generation after generation of strapping young men that became knights. Soon after William was officially knighted, he met Sally's mother, Isabelle, a peasant woman from a lowly family whom he loved dearly. William's parents, meanwhile, were strongly opposed to the union and had already betrothed William to a girl from another rich and noble family. When he refused to marry anyone other than Isabelle, he was disowned and stripped of his knighthood, but content in working a lowly job and living in a small cottage if it meant he could be with his beloved. Shortly after they married, Isabelle found out that she was pregnant, and the young couple was overjoyed, excited to have a little toddler running around in their humble abode. Their happiness was, however, tragically short-lived as Isabelle passed away in childbirth and William was left to look after a baby girl on his own. And though still he has a lot of learning to do, he's managed to keep Sally alive for fifteen years, and he's proud of himself, as is Sally.

a/n: 

lmao mr salmon

welp, there's the mandatory sob story