Electric and Exciting

-6 years old, 20 years ago

"Mama! Are these pastries ready!?"

The smell of golden faced pastries was the first thing you'd wake up to in the mornings. Face pressed against the over door, your eyes fixate on the dough that your mother had prepared the night before.

"Could you put them on the shelf for me honey, I'm a little busy!" Your mother's voice echoed through the hallway of your home. Since your father was away on a business trip, your mother was solely responsible for the family's bakery. You puffed up your chest proudly, grabbing an empty tray from the counter. With your sword and shield — a pair of tongs and oven mitts— you leveled the tray to the open oven and gathered up all of the freshly baked pastries.

Closing the oven door with your foot you swiveled and walked delicately to the shelf display by the window. You brought the tray up to the level on the shelf most accessible to you, admiring each pastry as you placed them onto the display with care. You brought the last pastry from the tray over to the window and when you reached over to place it down, your eyes met a pair of bright blue eyes staring right at you outside of the window.

You blinked a few times. "Umm, hello? Can I help you?"

The eyes stared back for a bit then looked away, almost disappointed. The person turned and already began to leave. You hesitated at first, debating on whether or not to talk to the person. You walked out the door and saw a boy walking further away.

"Hey! D-do you want a pastry!?" You shouted. The boy stopped and turned to look at you; he looked slightly irritated with a scowl on his face.

"I don't have any money."

You grinned. "Wait here!" His eyes watched you intensely as if to decipher your motives. You ran back out and returned to him, clutching a wrapped package with your small hands.

"Here you go!" You gestured the boy to look at your hands, "take this!" You lifted your hands to the boy; wrapped in wax paper were two freshly baked pastries, still warm from this mornings bake. The boy raised one of his eyebrows in skepticism.

"Why are you offering it to me?" He asked.

"Because you want one and I want to give you one!" You smiled brightly at the boy. He cautiously took the pastry from you, peering at it with great detail. You could've sworn his eyes swirled with interest, they were the most beautiful shades of blue you'd ever seen. Almost electric and exciting. You watched him as he hesitantly held it up to his face.

You giggled at him which threw him off. "If you think I'm trying to poison you, I'm not," your fingers gripped the edge of the pastry he held, tearing off a piece and placing it in your mouth with a grin. "See? Not poison."

The boy furrowed his brows for a moment then his expression relaxed. He took a bite of the pastry and his face instantly changed. He smiled.

"Its good right?" You nodded excitedly, "Mama's pastries are the best!"

The two of you sat on a nearby bench by your home. You watched the boy eagerly eat the pastry, then offered him the other. It looks like he had been hungry for awhile.

"So how come you're alone?" You asked. The boy was near the same age as you, maybe a little older. Upon further inspection you noticed the kimono he was wearing was formal, meaning it most have been expensive. It was orange with dragon flies printed on the fabric, making his already electric blue eyes stand out.

"I ran away from my family." He said blankly.

You frowned. You noticed hints of sadness in his eyes. "I see..."