chapter 2 - the mess i made when you were mine

Ricky was currently hunched over the bathroom sink, regurgitating what little food he had in his system, and all the drinks he downed. He had spent many nights drinking over the past two weeks, and this was becoming part of his morning routine. Every time he tried to sleep, he thought about Nini and their fight, which was mostly him yelling at her, and Nini crying. When he remembered the way she looked at him, it broke his heart. She'd looked hurt and scared, and he made her feel that way. He hated himself. But now it had been a while, and she hadn't even checked up on him once, which was a sign that he'd screwed up so badly. 

Nini was the most forgiving person he knew. Whenever he had messed up in the past, she would always forgive and forget. Which is also why she had always encouraged Ricky to pursue a relationship with his mom when given the chance. He hated how his mom still had such an effect on him after all these years. Ricky was just overwhelmed with the news of his mom's cancer. He didn't know what to feel, it had been a long time since he felt anything for his mom, but deep inside he was scared, that she would die, and he had spent his life hating her. However, it came out as anger and the only person he could take it out on was his girlfriend, and when Nini kept mentioning Todd like he was some kind of saint, he had snapped at her.

"Richard, open the door! I know you're in there." Big Red's loud voice interrupted his thoughts. 

He had avoided Big Red's texts and phone calls for a while, and his best friend probably had enough of it. So he dragged his feet to the door and opened it, he squinted when the light hit his eyes.

"Damn. You look like shit, Ricky." Big Red said. 

"Thanks." Ricky said sarcastically. "What do you want, Red?" 

"What do you think? I'm checking in on you, bro. You went AWOL for two weeks, and I've had enough of it." Big Red replied. "Now, I'm gonna make breakfast for you, you are going to take a shower, and then we can talk."
____

Ricky and Big Red were sitting at the dining table, eating scrambled eggs and toast. Ricky didn't realize how hungry he was until the food was on his plate, this was the first real meal he's had in days. They ate in silence, and when they were done, Big Red took the dishes and put them in the sink. He then made tea for both of them. Ricky knew the serious conversation was coming up next. 

"So what happened, Rick?" Red asked. 

"What? She didn't tell you?" Ricky found it hard to believe that Nini hadn't said a word to the boy. 

"She gave me a brief summary." Big Red said putting some sugar in his tea. "I want to know what actually happened." 

Rivky sighed, "I got overwhelmed because she told me my mom was sick, and I needed to go to Chicago... and I projected and snapped at her." 

Ricky proceeded to tell him the whole story, and the more he recalled the worse he felt about the whole situation.

"Ow! What the hell man?!" 

Big Red smacked the back of his head. "That was for Nini. I told you not to break her heart man." 

"I guess I deserve that." Ricky said rubbing the spot. 

"But I'm sorry about your mom, Ricky." Big Red added. "How do you feel about it?" 

"Well. Now that I've had two weeks to let the news sit. I guess I'm just scared. What if I go there and I'm disappointed again? What if she doesn't make it?" Ricky said honestly. "I don't know. I'm just confused, man." 

"You'll figure it out. And maybe the only way to know how you'll feel is to actually face her." 

"I hope so." Ricky said. He decided, he might as well ask the burning question, "So how's Nini?"