Chapter 6

"Don't you have anything better to do?" Rose shot back at their faithful follower. Rey jabbed her in the ribs. A strong reminder that she needed to remember her fake position within the manor. Surprisingly Armitage let the comment slide and did not respond. Unfortunately, that didn't dissuade Rose.

"You would think a soldier of war would have more important things to fill his days with then escorting two young ladies around the safe confines of this estate."

This time Armitage was unable to keep quiet. "You would think so wouldn't you? But ever since you and the lady nearly got yourselves carelessly killed, I've been placed on babysitting duty and I assure you, I enjoy it no more than you do, Miss Rose."

After his rebuff, Rose was silenced, and the rest of the walk was rather peaceful which gave Rey time to collect her thoughts. Kylo Ren was not what she had expected at all. Everyone described him as a fearsome, loathsome creature. But he wasn't like that at all. He was...just a man. A man hardened by battle but still just a man.

"He has a beating heart..." Rey murmured to herself.

"What?" Rose said.

Rey shook her heart and smiled at Rose. "Nothing, just...thinking."

Rose gave her a suspicious look but dropped the subject. Later, when they were alone once more, Rose admitted that her second attempt to find what she was looking for had come to nothing.

"It's not here," she said sadly.

"Where else could it be?" Rey asked.

Rose thought for a moment. "The barracks perhaps?"

Rey's eyes widened. "The barracks? Would there be a safe place to keep secrets in such a place?"

Rose shrugged. "I don't know, but I need to find out. If I don't find that information, I can't get us out of here."

"Why is it so important? What is it?"

"Proof."

"Proof of what?" Rey pushed.

"Just proof. I told you I don't want to put you in danger by telling you more than that."

Rey sighed. "Then we have to find a way to get Kylo to take us to the barracks."

"I don't think he is in the mood to take us on a day trip," Rose said dryly.

Rey folded her arms across her chest. "Then we have to put him in the mood."

Rose raised her eyebrows.

"Don't look at me like that! You were the one who told me to use my charm!" Rey cried.

"I'm not judging."

A knock at the door interrupted them. "The General asks that you join him for dinner," Finn called out.

Rose and Rey looked at each other in surprise.

"Now's your chance to use your charm," Rose said with amusement.

"We'll be right there," Rey called back to Finn whilst glaring at Rose.

**********

Kylo sat at the dining table feeling like an idiot. What had possessed him to invite her to dine with him? Because despite his best attempts he just couldn't ignore her.

He pushed the thought away. He should stop this now. There was no place in his world for a romantic attachment particularly when the interest in question was still extremely untrustworthy. She could still be a spy. Armitage had reported that her handmaiden was often wandering around alone. That was reason enough to suspect the two of them.