Chapter 15

Rey awoke early the next morning, alone. She frowned and sat up. Was something wrong? She climbed out of bed, got dressed and left the room in search of Kylo. She found him in his study engrossed in some documents. Coming up behind him, Rey placed her arms around his neck and leaned down to kiss his cheek.

"Good Morning Wife," he murmured.

Rey sighed. "I like hearing you call me that."

"I'll make sure to do it more often."

Kylo turned in his seat, knocking Rey off balance so that she ended up across his lap.

"You are so sneaky, General Ren," Rey scolded lightly.

"There are over a hundred different battle plans locked into my brain, Lady Ren. There is no way you can escape from me."

Rey bit her lip and leaned forward. "I don't want to escape from you," she whispered before pressing her lips to his. They were lost in each other for a few moments before someone cleared their throat nearby.

Kylo growled. "This had better be an emergency," he snapped pulling away from Rey.

"Sir, we believe Beaumont knows that we interrupted his communication to his superiors and he is currently missing," Finn explained.

Kylo gently returned Rey to her feet.

"Missing?" Rey asked worriedly.

Finn nodded.

Rey turned to Kylo who took her hands in his. "I promised you no harm would come to him so long as he poses no threat to us. I meant it Rey."

Rey nodded and let go of the breath she was holding.

"Search the grounds," Kylo ordered Finn who nodded swiftly and left.

"I'll assist them," Rey said, but Kylo grabbed her hand and turned her to face him.

"You won't put yourself in danger," he told her firmly.

Rey pursed her lips. "Beaumont won't hurt me."

"People can act out of character when backed into a corner, Rey. Please don't underestimate what he is capable of."

"Don't underestimate me, Kylo. Let me talk to him, I'm sure he will agree to confess..."

Kylo shook his head. "No."

Rey's anger flared. "I'm going to look for him and I won't let you stop me."

"I can have you locked in our room."

The gasp that escaped her mouth made him flinch slightly. "I'm going to pretend you didn't say that," Rey growled as she headed for the exit. Once she was outside she looked around desperately. She wondered where to start searching for Beaumont? Where could he have ran to? Rey found her concerns at not finding Beaumont were unwarranted once she entered the orchard. After only a few meters, he grabbed her wrist and pulled her behind a tree, placing his hand over her mouth.

"Don't scream," he hissed as he took his hand away from her mouth.

"What are you doing?" Rey asked.

"I know what they think of me, Rey, but I'm not the enemy. I swear I'm not." His eyes were desperate and red.

Rey furrowed her brow. "I believe you, but I can't help you unless you tell me who you work for."

Beaumont shook his head. "No, all this is too important."

Rey sighed. "Beaumont, I'm trying to keep Kylo at bay, but he is a well battled General. If you anger him, I'm not sure what he will do and I'm not sure I can protect you."