~Chapter 12~

The flames were barley starting to die down when Lostpaw looked over to see Ghostpaw asleep. He fidgeted, as if having a nightmare.

---------------------------------------------------

Ghostpaw walked around a starry landscape, his amber eyes were wide as moons and darting in all directions. Looking around, he spotted a dark shape in the shadows. The familiar pelt of Granitestar soon came into view.

"Ghostpaw," her soft voice spoke, "Your brother could have died in that fire because of you." her eyes darkened angrily.

"What? But I'm part of the prophecy! Lostpaw knows that. He would risk his life to keep the prophecy alive!" Ghostpaw stared in disbelief at the she cat.

"No, Ghostpaw, you don't understand. There is a cat far more important in the prophecy than you." He gray tail flicked at a puddle beside her and a blurry image in it slowly became clearer. Ghostpaw crouched and could slightly make out the faded figure of his brother laying beside him, watching the flames lick away.

The image faded and Ghostpaw stood. "I don't understand..." He turned widely back to Granitestar, but her gray figure was already fading.

"Listen to your instincts," she muttered, barley loud enough for Ghostpaw to hear. The white cat lashed his recently charred tail in anger and blinked back into the smokey moor.

-----------------------------------------------------

Lostpaw looked over at his brother, who was just waking. Lostpaw sighed. Ghostpaw was so important, and he was just an ordinary cat.

Ghostpaw was on his paws in an instant, lashing his tail back and forth. Ashes flew in the air and Lostpaw coughed.

"What's wrong?" Lostpaw whined, squinting his eyes and meeting his littermate's clouded gaze.

"You.." Ghostpaw whispered, digging his claws into the soil. Lostpaw sprang back in surprise. Was Ghostpaw mad at him?

Lostpaw flattened his ears and took a step backwards slowly. "I'm going to go help rebuild the camp. It shouldn't be that bad," he whispered, trying to improvise a reason to leave.

"Fine, Lostpaw," meowed Ghostpaw, straightening his shoulders and sheathing his claws. As Lostpaw was leaving, he quickly added, "Stay safe."

Ghostpaw watched Lostpaw leave, his eyes wide as moons. Where was Lostpaw's connection in the prophecy? Was Lostpaw the one that had to be sacrificed?

"No," his brother whispered crossly to himself, fear clogging his throat. He quickly unsheathed his claws and dug them deep into the soil. "I won't let anybody hurt Lostpaw."

Sorry this chapter is a little short but yeah. :d Now you know... THE TRUTH!