contagion

A few weeks later 

Mayas pov 

As I'm sitting in the living room reading a book while Luna sleeps, my phone buzzes. I open it up to see a news notification. I take a few minutes to read it before it hits me. Some sort of virus has had a giant outbreak in China, as it has spread to Italy. I text Car.

Did you hear about the virus in China/Italy? 

It takes her less than a minute to respond. 

Yes. It's very complicated. I'll talk to you about it when I get home, si? 

Sure. Love you Car, stay safe. 

Love you too Bella.

I shut my phone off, and open my book back up. I need something to distract me from this mess of a world. 

A few hours later 

Carina walks through the door with tears in her eyes. I've already put Luna to sleep, and Y/N is doing something in her room. I wrap my arms around her, and she squeezes me. 

"What's wrong Car?" I say, to which she sighs. We sit at the kitchen counter, and I get her a glass of water. "This virus. It's killing people quickly. No one knows where it came from, what it's like, how it's transmitted..." I grab her hand. "There's only one reported case in the US as of earlier today. I know it was in Washington, but we should be okay. We're all okay." I respond. 

One week later 

As I'm scrolling through my phone, and alert pops up that reads MANDATORY LOCKDOWN. I click it, and it seems as though the CDC has put a lockdown into place to stop the spread of the virus. We're supposed to stay inside, and limit contact with others. My first thought is Carina, and the other doctors. Then the station. 

A few hours later, carina calls me. "Hey Babe, did you.." I start but she interrupts me. "Maya. With this lockdown, I need to quarantine for 14 days before I come home. I'm getting daily testing at the hospital. I have a bunch of masks for you and y/n if you need to go anywhere. Please stay inside. I gotta go, I'll call you later." And then she hung up. 

"Y/n?" I yell up the stairs. She comes downstairs, and I ask her if she's heard about the lockdown. Apparently she has, and her first question was about her mom. "She'll have to quarantine for 14 days before she can come home. She doesn't want to risk giving You, me, or Luna Covid."

"What?" She responds. "She's dropping masks off later, we can see her through the window. No face to face contact though". Y/N sighs. "This is fucking crazy" she says. "I know" I respond. I'm somewhat speechless too. 

That night 

I watch as Carinas car pulls into the driveway. She puts a box on the porch. I smile at her through the window. She pulls her mask down, showing her smiling face. Her eyes are tear stained, and her mascara has worn off. "Thank you Car" I say, luckily she heard me. "I love you guys." She says, and y/n says it back. She gets back into her car and pulls away. 

Carinas said to leave the box out for a little while, and then to spray it with disinfectant before opening it. I feel like that's a little much, but she's the doctor. We do just that, as the dystopian feeling sets in. My wife is quarantining away from me and the kids, incase she has this virus that's killing people of all ages. I'm once again speechless. Y/n sets her hand on my shoulder and we sit in silence.