Chapter 2

"So you're just a ranch hand?" Kade asked, his brown eyes staring at the moon as if it'll be the last thing he'll ever see.

"I suppose so," Ben replied, "I usually just feed the cattle and milk the heifers if Conner, my dad needs help."

Conner was the other ranch hand. He did most of the milking since he was the only one who did it effectively.

"Conner's your dad?" Kade asked

"Yep, I know we look nothing alike," Ben giggled, "He likes to joke about how I was apparently left in a random field and he just found me."

Kade cracked up.

"My dad used to say that I was left in a dumpster."

"That's even better than mine."

"I think that we've tied." Kade felt something, a warmth he hasn't felt in years. A human connection.

"Agreed." They paused for a moment, looked in each other's eyes and looked away, similar to a childhood crush.

"I don't wanna feel like I'm stepping into something that isn't my business," Ben started to say, "I heard yelling from the house is everyone okay?"

'He seems to care,' Kade thought.

"Well my step-grandmother, Betty-May wants to tear my cousins and I apart so she can get the dairy from my grandpa's will and sell it."

"Wow that's actually really terrible, who do you think she'd sell it to?"

"Probably to the DeMonaco's, they've been trying to put up offers on this place for years."

"Yeah, that makes sense." Ben paused, "I'm sorry you have to go through this,"

Ben put his hand on Kade's accidentally and moved it as soon as he realized. Kade's cheeks turned a deep rosy red then he tried to hide in face by looking at the stars. Suddenly Alysha stormed out with Natalie shortly behind her.

"THAT FUCKING BITCH!" Alysha screamed as she approached Kade and Ben.

"Alysha, chill the hell out, what's wrong?" Kade asked, as he grabbed her shoulders and looked in her eyes.

"She's removing Grandma's bench."