Chapter 10

"I didn't sleep with him," Ben said.

"You're his what?" Kade said as he sat up and touched the side of his head.

"I'm his mother," Betty-May snarled. Kade saw how white Natalie and Alysha's faces were, he also noticed how red Ben's face was, "Benny-Boo tell him the truth, we wouldn't want a liar on our hands now would we?"

"Ben, what's going on?" Kade asked.

"Fine, Betty-May was my birth mother. She left me in the field where Conner found me,"

"How do you know? Why didn't you tell me sooner? Ben, I thought I could trust you," Kade stood up.

"She gave me my birth certificate, and I knew you wouldn't take this well,"

"Well duh, Betty-May has made my life a living hell for the past year,"

"Kade, I'm sorry,"

"Get off my property,"

"Kade-"

"Just go Ben," Kade's eyes watered up, Natalie let go of Betty-May and ran over to comfort Kade.

"I'm sorry," Ben said as he walked away slowly from the dairy.

Kade began to cry on Natalie's shoulder.

"Kade your relationship melodrama was very entertaining, but are we gonna ignore the fact that Betty-May just admitted to murder?" Alysha said as she let go of Matthew.

"Oh yeah that," Kade wiped his tears.

"Called it! Alysha pay up," Natalie said as Alysha handed her 10 dollars.

"You made bets?" Jason asked Natalie.

"You didn't?"

"Quit it with the bet talk," Mathew looked at Betty-May, "We're done."

"But Matty-," Betty-May teared up.

"I don't wanna hear it," Matthew looked at Jason, "Call the police,"

The cousins and Julianna sat in Kade's farmhouse, staring at Grandpa Joe's picture.

"You know in a way I think he would have wanted all of this," Kade said sitting back on his couch.

"Probably," Mathew said.

"At least we are all together now," Alysha said.

"And somewhat happy," Natalie added.

"You know," Jason smiled, "I did pay for all this booze,"

"Just our luck," Kade smiled.

Kade took his speaker out and he and his family walked to the empty reception area.

"Let's just forget," Kade said as he turned on the speaker.

The family danced and drank until the cows mooed for the early morning feed.