Chapter 5

You see, I'm not perfect. I won't pretend to be perfect for anyone. But when I was with Luke....I had a small glimpse of what perfect felt like.

"Was that Luke?" I jump up, startled. My mother stands by the hallway and raises her eyebrows. "Alli..."

I shake my head and smile. "Yeah. I'm okay. He just came back to ask me about his guitar."

I know I am a terrible liar, but right now I don't seem to care. My mother knows how much Luke and I's breakup affected me. She saw the way I sat in my room, going crazy when the lyrics I had written down on my notebook weren't up to par. She saw the way I would pick at my food during dinner and would always have something to mention about the way Luke used to love eating pasta and such. What gave it off was the sounds she would hear every night of me crying myself to sleep while the thoughts of what he said remained in my chest.

It was absolutely horrible.

You want someone so badly, but they don't want you anymore.

"I need to go put away my picks." I scratch the back of my neck and step away from the door.

I run upstairs and quickly enter my room where I push myself against the door, slamming it shut and I slide down.

"I'm still in love with you."

My chest rises and I press my hand above my chest, earning that fast pace of my heart beat like it used to.