𝟎𝟎. 𝐏𝐀𝐑𝐓 𝐓𝐖𝐎. 𝐝𝐨𝐫𝐨𝐭𝐡𝐲 𝐭𝐚𝐥𝐞𝐬

Dorothy went home that night with a heavy heart, she had stayed in her family home for five more hours trying to persuade her mom that she'd be fine. It was shocking Elizabeth hadn't taken to drinking, but the Millers were coming over and no woman should be a drunk. Her mom took all the frustration out on cooking. Dorothy had no idea why Elizabeth had suddenly began showing the forgein emotion, she never cared much about Dorothy's safety before.

The time was eight forty-five by the time Dorothy arrived at her friend's home, where she had been living for the past year. Upon arrival, Mrs. and Mr. Fraser were out on a date and Kathryn Fraser was getting ready for a party at the McCarthy's. Katie walked down the stairs after hearing the door open, her golden hair was sprayed into perfection with half being up on her head. Her lips were painted a pale pink to match her emerald green dress.

She was still putting earrings on, "Dottie, I think you should go. Jimmy is going to be there." She had been trying endlessly to get Dorothy to go, and each time Dorothy wasn't in the mood. Until that evening, her excitement bubbled through her smile and could be seen miles away.

"Let me find a dress," She replied without hesitation. Katie stood there as Dottie passed, she hadn't expected her to give in so quickly. Dorothy was a mischievous girl in high school, she'd sneak out to parties she wasn't allowed at, go to bars, smoked whenever, and even gotten in trouble with the police on multiple occasions. No one knew how she was able to get away with so much, they knew how Elizabeth Lane was.

Elizabeth Lane forced both her children into a school to home schedule, nothing was as important as their education. Both of the Lane children were fluent in five languages, their mother deemed it as an asset to have in the world. Even more so, when Dorothy was ten she took up more education on biologies and nursing techniques. Other students thought she was some sort of immortal by the way she surrounded herself in her work, when she turned fifteen was when the partying started and classmates thought she was some sort of entity. The life of the party with so much on her shoulders between school and her mother, though many didn't know about Elizabeth's control. Dorothy was thought to be an overachiever and if it weren't for the pressures of her mother, she might have just dropped out of school.

The tales of Dorothy Lane's wildest adventures came to an end after being alive for two years. It was when the seventeen year old Dorothy met Dr. Thompson did she sober up, he was more of a father figure to her. He saw the potential she had to pursue the medical field, he saw her more as just a girl- but as a colleague. Which is why he had written to Colonel Sink without her knowledge, he had done all he could for her face learning mind.

Of course only Katie knew of her history, which is why she was excited when the letter arrived, which is also why she wanted to have one last party with her. Katie hunched, hissing a victorious yes before she waited on the couch.

The time was nine'o'seven when the two girls left the Fraser residence, their hair in perfect waves and lips glossed with lipstick. Dorothy had on a red lip, to match her vibrant red dress that Katie had given to her on her birthday that year. "When do you leave?" Katie asked, looking both ways before the two scurried across the street.

"Oh, the thirtieth," She responded, touching her gelled hair to see if it had stayed in place despite the wind. Dorothy hadn't noticed Katie stopped walking until she glanced at nothing. Her brows furrowed until she turned to find a confused and astonished Katie a little ways back. "What?" She questioned, crossing her arms to keep warm from the late September air.

Katie's head tilted aggressively, "What? What do you mean by what? That's in less than two days."

Dottie only shrugged and waved Katie on to follow. "Dorothy, that means we have technically only a day with each other. And, and who knows how long you'll be gone," Kathryn added, her voice cracked slightly as she hurried beside her friend.

"Which is why we are on our way to a party. So we can spend one more night dancing to music," Dottie explained, turning the corner. The party was being held at the Johnson's, a rich family that had a room dedicated to dancing and parties. The lights were on and the faint tunes of jazz, excitement bubbled in Dottie. She was an adrenaline addict, she chased excitement, the feeling of her heart pounding obnoxiously.

Katie nodded her head, speeding inside of the building. The sound of trumpet and piano pounded into their eardrums, couples danced with excitement on the floor and the observers shared drinks and laughed gleefully.

"Dottie, Katie, you made it, "Joseph Johnson yelled, widening his arms and taking his two friends into a warm hug. They had all been friends throughout school, Joseph was a football player and a popular jock at school. Meanwhile, Katie and Dorothy were fairly popular at school and they had all grown up in the same neighborhood. Similar to the Millers, Elizabeth Lane would've been happy with Dottie marrying Joe.

Katie always had a crush on Joseph though, her bright smile that appeared on her face whenever she saw him didn't hide the fact. "Joe, of course we made it. Had to get one more party in before Dottie ships off," She replied to him, nudging Dottie at the mention of her being shipped off.

Dorothy inwardly cringed, she hadn't told Joseph yet. His brows furrowed and his eyes darted over to her, "Shipped off?" He was supposed to join the war efforts, but he was drafted into playing football.

"Oh," Katie mumbled, she had assumed he was informed. The three never stopped telling each other everything, any little secret they all knew and that was what caused people to hate them together.

"I was, uh, here," She pulled on Joe and Katie's arms, dragging them to Joe's bedroom. "I can't say it around others, I don't want people knowing and especially not in this town," She said crossing her arms.

Joe nodded, "Yeah, alright."

Dottie sighed, "I was given a letter two days ago and I wrote back yesterday. I have been chosen to be a combat medic with an airborne division, and I replied with yes. I leave the thirtieth."

Joe looked defeated at the news, "What? No. You can't, remember we all celebrated that we'd be together. Because I was drafted into football and not the army." His eyes glossed over, and the cheerful demeanor he had was not gone. All Dottie could do was nod sympathetically, Katie placed a hand on the back of his shoulder. "Well shit," He muttered, flopping onto his bed with his head in his hands.

"I'm sorry Joe, you know I could never pass up this opportunity," She apologized.

Joe just shook his head, "No, let's just. Let's just have a good time tonight."

Dottie and Katie looked at eachother with smiles forming on their face, relieved he reacted this way. "Yeah, okay," Katie sighed out.

And they danced the night away, it would be one of the last normal happy moments Dottie would have.