𝟎𝟏. 𝐏𝐀𝐑𝐓 𝐒𝐈𝐗. 𝐚𝐥𝐝𝐛𝐨𝐮𝐫𝐧𝐞

The lot of Easy company had spent the past couple of weeks reviewing basics, practicing hand to hand combat and general weapon mastery. Dorothy spent much of her free- time from her company with the other medics, reviewing all their skills. She felt as though all the hard bits were over, that it had been easy sailing and simple since their arrival in England. Sadly, she knew that this feeling was fake, it would only get more complicated as they ran through simulations and drills.

It was repetitive, each day they would wake up and practice basic drills and shooting targets. The only thing that would change was the practice of operations, which flank to move in specific situations and each role a soldier has in different scenarios. Unfortunately, with the increased pressures on military officers, Sobel shrunk. He was jumpier than he had been, his brain seemed scattered and he rarely knew his left from right.

Luckily for second platoon, Sobel decided to lead first platoon through their current tactic operation. She followed right behind Penkala, crouched behind a stone fence. They were all silent, stealth being the main objective. She glanced at her watch without truly focusing on the time, then squinted up to the sky and wondered if it was going to rain again. All it ever seemed to do was rain, as though foreshadowing the gloomy future they were sure to discover.

"He's late," Muck announced quietly from behind her. She glanced back at the same time as Penkala to look at him, realizing she never actually paid attention to the time. Sure enough, Sobel was a minute late.

Penkala scoffed, glancing behind both her and Muck to see Winters quietly discussing with Lipton. "Just by a minute," He started off, leading Dorothy to believe him defending Sobel. "A damn minute that we could be killed off in just by waiting."

Muck let a small chuckle out and whispered, "I can't believe this looney."

Dorothy decided to join the conversation, "At least we've got Winters. I trust him more than anyone here."

"He's not bad," Penkala commented, not wanting to agree with her. It was something Dorothy had noticed during her time as a medic in the army, the men never wanted to sound compassionate, or believing. Perhaps she never spent this much time around the other gender, but she could've sworn they all tried to be asses to save face.

She shook her head at his reply, looking back up to the cloudy sky. She felt sorry for Luz, the poor man was surely lost somewhere alongside the rest of first platoon. A minute later, Lipton ran to speak with first squad leader. They were ordered to cut to the right side of the street, and lay down a base of fire.

Getting approval, Lipton led the squad across the street. They cut off an elderly man on his bike, Dorothy gave him a quick wave to which he gave her a confused smile and turned. The squad reached the other side of the hedges. They took up the position as Winters spoke with the old man who jokingly held up his hands. As if on cue, Sobel came running down the open street yelling "Hi-Ho Silver".

"He's a dumbass," Penkala muttered from beside her, staring the Lieutenant down from their distance.

"Good work Second Platoon," Winters spoke, "We took the objective."

First platoon came to a stop, Sobel looking confused as ever. "You took it?" Sobel asked Winters, turning to his platoon and then back again.

"Yes, sir, you were three minutes late," Winters replied, pulling his sleeves over his wrist. He didn't mean to sound condescending, yet Sobel didn't catch the possibility of it.

Instead, Herbert Sobel nodded his head, "Got caught up in something. Very good men," He addressed the group, "Hold here until Colonel Sink arrives." He awkwardly glanced at Winters before making his way behind some shrubbery.