𝟎𝟎. 𝐏𝐀𝐑𝐓 𝐅𝐈𝐕𝐄. 𝐜𝐚𝐦𝐩 𝐭𝐨𝐜𝐜𝐨𝐚

Dorothy Lane stood tall in the presence of Colonel Sink, who at five thirty in the morning sat in his chair examining papers upon papers. Lieutenant Winters was beside Dottie, his hat held in front of him as he glanced out the window with anticipation. After catching a few more glimpses at a piece of paper, he turned his attention to the other two in the room.

"Miss. Lane, pleasure to meet you. I've heard wonderful things," Sink stood, reaching to shake her hand. Perhaps it was the nature of those in the regiment that Dorothy had met for them to be nice, or maybe it was out of respect and a first time meeting rather than a daily attitude. He handed a small note to Winters, without saying a thing.

She smiled as he continued and sat back down, "You will be receiving the same training as my other medics have. You will be under the lead of a Mr. Eugene Roe. He's been here since the start and will be an excellent teacher to help you grasp the non-medical aspect. I do request that you keep a tidy living quarter, you will be in a room with men. I understand that you're a woman but we cannot allow special treatment, besides the privacy of a shower and changing room."

Dorothy nodded, "Of course sir, I wouldn't expect any. It feels like special treatment enough just to be here."

The Colonel smiled brightly at her answer, "I like you. Lieutenant Winters will give you a tour and introduce you to other officers. Dismissed."

Winters bowed his head, placing his hat onto his head. Dorothy followed him, quick on her feet as the sun permitted the sky to glow orange. Her face illuminated as she had little time to admire its beauty. Winters walked stiffly, "First thing we need to do is get you into uniform." They came across a smaller tent, "Your clothes will be in there. Along with, uh, female necessities."

Dottie laughed at his attempt to help her feel comfortable, and himself. She thanked him and headed in, taking in the space. There was a bare table with her promised uniform, a triumphant smile on her face when she saw Lane on the name tag. After taking a moment to get changed, she glanced at the small hair ties on the table, along with a small amount of pads and tampons. They must've thought about it thoroughly, she appreciated the gesture and she was forever thankful for a regular and small cycle. She had realized that there was no pt gear in the bag, she assumed it was in her sleeping quarters and didn't worry too much about it.

She braided her hair, twirling it into a low bun at the nape of her neck. She smoothed the hair on the top of her head, allowing for a more defined part off center. She admired her uniform for a time longer, rinsed her face and then grabbed the pads and tampons to put them in her personal bag. She left the tent feeling completely anew, Thompson must've sent Colonel Sink her size because the uniform fit beautifully.

"Winters," She greeted, he jumped up from his leaning position against a pole.

"Lane, you clean up well," He complimented, noticing how she had smoothed her hair out of her way. She appeared even younger than when he had first met her. She thanked him, following as he began his way towards a log building with the first aid cross at the top of it. "First, you'll be meeting the rest of our medic crew. From there, Doc will show you to the second platoon where you'll meet your bunkmates," Winters explained.

He didn't notice how Dottie had to take extra, scrambled strides to keep up with him. "This is where I leave you," He said, reaching his hand out with a piece of paper placed between his fingers, "Give this to Roe."

"Thank you Lieutenant Winters," She said, taking the paper from his grasp. He gave a nod, walking off to some other officer which he greeted with a light air about him.

She took a deep breath, preparing herself to meet her comrades. The door creaked open, a huddle of men sat around a table taking supplies needed for the day into their own personal aide bag. They all looked towards the door when the sudden noise startled them, she could see that they had all very recently woken up. They all appeared confused at the sight of a woman, a man with goggle-like glasses sharing a look with a scrawny blonde.