𝟎𝟏. 𝐏𝐀𝐑𝐓 𝐄𝐈𝐆𝐇𝐓. 𝐩𝐫𝐞𝐩𝐚𝐫𝐚𝐭𝐢𝐨𝐧

note: I did my best research on the equipment that a combat medic would carry going into ww2. Some things I have filled may be wrong due to a lack of sufficient resources. Though, I was able to find and base a specific piece of my writing on a WW2 US MEDICAL RESEARCH CENTRE website. I will link it in case any of you would like to explore/read more! . Also a slight warning, the vivid terminology that these men used is going to pick up more as they used to swear left and right- especially with the f word being their favorite. 

"Three-day supply of K-rations, chocolate bars, charms candy, powdered coffee, sugar, and matches. Compass, bayonet, entrenching tool, ammunition, gas mask. Musette bag with ammo, my webbing, my .45, canteen, two cartons of smokes, Hawkins mine, two grenades, smoke grenade, gamma grenade, TNT, this bullshit," Toye angrily threw a rope down onto all his equipment as he took a squat beside Perconte and Luz. "And a pair of nasty skivvies," He ended by throwing his skivvies down.

Dorothy was one group of three away and heard his item list, trying to focus on going through her own checklist. She was right beside Spina and Roe, the three of them decided it'd be best to check all non-health equipment before taking a dive into their medic bags. Not one of them had said a word since they began to check through, the three of them were slightly anxious with the fact that their day of travel was in less than 24 hours. Dorothy was going to pack and ready herself in a group with Liebgott and Alley, but Spina suggested the three easy medics stay together through filling their bags- more than likely a nerve component.

"What's your point?" Perconte asked, taking a break from organizing his own equipment. He squinted at Toye who didn't bother to look at him while he stared down all his things.

Moving his arms out to gesture the lot of items, Toye continued. "You know, this stuff weighs as much as I do. I've still got my chute, my reserve chute, my Mae West, my M1." He then began to take off his gloves, Perconte grabbed a box from his blanket and stood.

Rising from his crouched position, Perconte humored him, "Where are you keeping your brass knuckles?" He smiled as he walked past his comrade.

"I could use some brass knuckles," Toye muttered, turning to look at a leaving Perconte.

Returning to her own list, she had checked off her food rations that contained canned goods- that weren't really that great- and chocolate bars. Her coffee powder, sugar, and matches were all placed together as well. Next, she had the only weapons she was able to carry, an M1911A1 pistol and a bolo knife that was more for utilitarian use. She counted her compass and canteen, and though she didn't smoke she was given the same amount of smokes as everyone else. Being a member of the parachute unit, the medics were luckier than other army aidmen. They were trained to defend themselves with all the weapons a normal private would use, but they couldn't carry them as long as they had their red cross on, per gift from the Geneva Convention.

"Ready to go over everything?" Spina asked, his butt resting on his heels and his hands on his thighs as he looked down the line at Eugene.

Eugene nodded, "I think so." He looked at Dorothy for confirmation, who nodded her head for him to continue.

The three medics had all been promoted back at the end of Camp Toccoa to technician third grade, making them all non-commissioned officers equivalent to a corporal. This meant that they carried more equipment than a technician in seventh or sixth grade.

Spina spoke, "Okay, first thing, two cantle ring straps, two pouches, and a suspender." When no one responded, he continued. "In right side pouch; Three vials, sixteen Acetylsalicylic Acid tablets, a bottle of 36 Compound Cathartic tablets, 2 surgical adhesive plaster that's 1 inch by 5 yards. A lead pencil, one large safety pin set, one medium safety pin set, a thermometer."