024.

024. they burn so bright

HONESTLY? BARBIE didn't know what the fuck she'd been thinking a few seconds ago, wanting to fight tartarus- to literally kill some higher being. but it was sort of too late to back out like that when she stared up at his dark whirlpool face. the idea of dying by this guys hand didn't seem very honourable, not really. maybe memorable- but did barbie really want to be remembered as the crazy chick who thought she could defeat tartarus? she's always wanted to be know, she wanted her name in lights- her work known for in the mortal world and demigod world.

but looking at tartarus... maybe she'd want a little bit of a less memorable way to die. maybe she'd fall down the stairs, or go peacefully in her sleep next to percy after a nice life with percy- maybe a few grandkids or something and a pet at the foot of their bed. it sounded better than getting flicked into a chasm by tartarus' pinkie.

the strength she'd had to go and threaten along with yell at tartarus now seemed to be lost. her mouth was open, ready to spill out threats, taunt the being- but the sound of her voice never escaped. even if she wanted to close her mouth, she couldn't. it was like she was paralysed by fear, something she hadn't experienced in a while.

she was dimly aware of the army of monsters swirling around her, but after their initial roar of triumph the horde had fallen silent. barbie, annabeth and percy should have been ripped to pieces by now.

instead, the monsters kept their distance, waiting for tartarus to act. the god of the pit flexed his fingers, examining his own polished black talons. he had no expression, but he straightened his shoulders as if he were pleased. it is good to have form, he intoned. with these hands, i can eviscerate you.

his voice sounded like a backwards recording – as if the words were being sucked into the vortex of his face rather than projected. in fact, everything seemed to be drawn towards the face of this god – the dim light, the poisonous clouds, the essence of the monsters, even her own fragile life force. she looked around and realized that every object on this vast plain had grown a vaporous comet's tail – all pointing towards tartarus.

barbie's instincts told her to run, to hide, to avoid herself getting crushed by the god. her instincts told her to hide, to run away  and to... fear.

she took in a shaky breath, letting her tears slip down as she stared right back up at tartarus. her sword had clattered down to the ground, materialising in front of her eyes as her pearl bracelet. she blinked, slowly clenching her fists and letting her hands fall to her side.

the reason they'd all survived this long was because tartarus was savouring his new form. he wanted the pleasure of physically ripping them to pieces. if tartarus wished, barbie had no doubt he could devour her existence with a single thought, as easily as he'd vaporized hyperion and krios. would there be any rebirth from that? she didn't want to find out. next to her, percy did something she'd never seen him do. he dropped his sword. it just fell out of his hand and hit the ground with a thud. death mist no longer shrouded his face, but he still had the complexion of a corpse.

tartarus hissed again – possibly laughing. your fear smells wonderful, said the god. i see the appeal of having a physical body with so many senses. perhaps my beloved gaia is right, wishing to wake from her slumber.

he stretched out his massive purple hand and might have plucked up percy like a weed, but bob interrupted. "begone!"

the titan levelled his spear at the god. "you have no right to meddle!"