my best friend | katsuki bakugo fluff

a/n: if this feels familiar, it was from the book I wrote with the same title (which is now taken down)

prompt: (Y/n) confesses to their best friend

warning: strong language and some cliché dialogue choices

word count: 898

.・-: ✧ :- second-person point of view -: ✧ :-・.

"Hey, dumbass!" You heard an oh-so-familiar voice call for you. "Get over here I gotta talk to you."

"Yeah?" You asked, inquiring about why he wanted to talk to you. He didn't say anything but gestured with his head to the door, signally he wanted to go somewhere else to talk. You were a little confused but followed him out of the classroom. Bakugo was silent for the majority of the walk. You were following him to wherever he was taking the two of you. You followed him outside and you saw the sun begging to touch the horizon in the distance.

"Why?" He spoke up.

"Why what?" You asked in a confused manner.

"The other day you save me life." He repeated himself, only this time giving you context. "Why?"

"I guess it was because I care about you," You stated, not understanding how he failed to realize that.

"That's a stupid thing to care about," He muttered.

"What?" You asked, a little shocked he would say that. He didn't answer you or even look at you. You sighed.

"If I could go back in time and do that day all over again," You began seriously, "I would not have anything different. And I'd do that over and over again because you're worth caring about, and you're worth saving." Bakugo scoffed once again, shoving his hands into his pockets.

"Yeah? Well, some people would disagree," Bakugo stated boldly. You didn't know where this was coming from, but you were determined to get rid of it.

"What on earth are you talking about?" You wondered out loud in bewilderment.

"They say I act more like a villain than a hero," Bakugo explained. For once, something other than anger, resentment, or frustration filled his voice. His tone illustrated he was ashamed.

"Katsuki you saved my life when you couldn't even stand up! If that's not acting like a hero I don't know what is," You exclaimed. Bakugo tried to turn away from you, but you reached out and grabbed both of his arms.

"Sure, you're rough around the edges, but you're no villain," You told him earnestly. "You can be loud and angry, but you made up your mind when we were kids who you're going to be. You stuck to it all these years and you're going to get there, I know it. You're a hero Katsuki." You felt tears prick at your eyes at the thought of your best friend letting other people convince him that he was something he wasn't. You didn't know where you were going with this speech, but you had more to say,

"At the very least... you're my hero," You confessed. "Please don't forget that. And I know I probably sound ridiculous right now, but I know you. I can't remember a time when you weren't my best friend, and I know you're not tough all the time. I know you're not strong all the time. No one can be, but I want to be the reason you can stand up and be strong. I want people like me to be the reason you can stand up and prove them wrong; prove that you can and will be a hero. And that you'll be the best."

There was a moment of silence as Bakugo processed what you said to him. No one has said anything like that to him before. He wasn't sure how to react. He watched as a tear or two escaped and glided down your cheek. Seeing you cry broke his cold heart.

"You already do... " He said once he mustered up the strength to speak. "You already fucking do." You pushed past his walls and gave him a hug. You wrapped your arms around him so tight, making sure that he knew you were there for him.

"You're my best friend, and I love you," You muttered into his shoulder. It took a second, but Bakugo returned the hug and held onto you snugly. You could get used to this. For never doing it, he was so good at giving hugs. Perhaps it was the heavy heart-felt atmosphere that made it seem more than perfect.

"I never thought that I'd actually hear you say that," He admitted. A few seconds of silence passed before you loosened your grip and began to let go of him. When you pulled away you looked into those once angry crimson eyes. They weren't angry anymore.

He kissed you. You felt everything fade away around you and it was only him. For someone of such a fiery personality most of the time, the kiss was soft and sweet. You placed one of your hands onto his shoulder, and the other around his neck. His hands cupped the sides of your face as he brought you closer to him.

"Damnit," Bakugo swore breathlessly after the kiss ended.

"What?"

"Kirishima was right from the start," He told you as he kept one of his hands holding the side of your face, keeping your forehead pressed against his. "I think I... " He swore under his breath before blurting it out, "I love you--Fuck! There I said it!" You began to laugh and you placed your hand over his.

"I was blind not to see it before," You scolded yourself. "We're idiots." You laughed at yourself and saw Bakugo smile slightly.

"Yeah, yeah we are."