reckless abandon | tenya iida fluff [female-reader request]

Prompt: (Y/n) got hurt during a villain attack, and Iida decides to give her a piece of his mind

Warning: Some more mature themes about self-sacrifice and death, but there's a happy ending, don't worry

Word count: 693

.・-: ✧ :- Second Person Point of View -: ✧ :-・.

So there you laid, in the hospital bed ready to get nagged to hell and back by your close friend and mother-hen Iida. You didn't want to get injured, but you were alive and you were going to be fine so there was nothing for him to really worry about. Yet, he insisted on expressing how reckless you had been.

"What were you thinking?" Iida scolded you. "You always jump into the line of fire like you're invincible!"

"I was thinking I couldn't let the villain just get away like that!" You responded in frustration. It was true your attempts at apprehending the criminal were unsuccessful, but from your perspective, you were in the right.

"You knew he was stronger than you, you knew you were going to lose from the start," Iida pointed out, equally as frustrated. Arguments were not very common between the two of you; you got along very smoothly and enjoyed each other's company as flowers love the rain. You had to say, Iida was your best friend and you would be lost without him. He would also be lost without you, so when you continually put your life in danger it scared and frustrated the young man.

"Just because I might lose doesn't mean I shouldn't try," You stated while tightening your fists. "We have to be heroes, what was I supposed to do?" You questioned in exasperation.

"There's nothing heroic about leaving behind the people who love you!" Iida articulated with a distressed tone. "What do you want me to say?" You were silent, unsure of how you would actually answer that question. What did you really expect of him?

"Do you want me to tell you that I'm glad you were almost killed in a fruitless sacrifice?" He asked in a serious manner. "Do you want me to tell you about how happy I am that someone I care so deeply for cares so little about their own safety? Because I don't know what else you were hoping for, (Y/n)." You inhaled deeply and looked anywhere but at him.

"It's not like anyone would miss me if I was gone," You muttered under your breath.

"What?" You could tell by his tone Iida had managed to hear what you said. "Do you have any idea how many people would be heartbroken if you were to die?" You reminded quite, waiting for him to continue with his inevitable lecture. Your dark-haired friend sat at the foot of your hospital bed and sighed.

"I would be," He stated gravely. "I don't know what I would do without you, that's why I get so upset when you're reckless like this. It's because I would do anything not to lose you. (Y/n), I... " He trailed off, unable to bring himself to verbalize what had been on his heart for ages now. Was now really the time to tell you he was in love with you?

"You what?" You asked, willing to do anything to prevent the tears building up in your eyes from escaping.

"I love you," Iida confessed with closed eyes. He waited for your response in great anxiety. You blinked several times in a row, a few rouge tears dripping from your wide eyes.

"What?" You nearly whispered, unable to entirely comprehend what he had admitted. "Did you say you... "

"I love you," He repeated with more certainty. "I understand if you don't feel the same, I simply thought it was important for you to know."

"I-I do feel the same way, though," You sniffed while smearing away your stray tears. You saw him smile and finally look at you. A grin crept onto your face as you started to laugh.

"Alright... I admit I was a bit overzealous," You started cautiously, "but I won't apologize for doing what I thought was right."

"I'm okay with that," Iida told you. "I also admit my reaction was not optimal, but you have to be more careful next time."

"I'll promise to be careful if you agree to be my boyfriend?" You suggested with a cheeky smile and Iida laughed. He got to his feet and approached you so he could tuck a bit of your hair behind your ear.

"That sounds like a wonderful deal."